Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Have Some Brain Food

 September 22, 2020

Good morning.  Note the date?  Twenty already.  That means it's almost October already.  Once the hot temps are done, the rest of the year goes really fast.  At least for us old folks.  Temps today should get up into the mid sixties, then be a little warmer for the next several days.  That's going to feel really good.

Even with the cooler temps, there are still some beautiful blossoms to enjoy.  Here's a photo of my geranium plant.  Still pink and pretty.

On the way home from the mountains, Audrey took this photo of the flowers along the side of the road.  Aren't they beautiful?

I've been working on the navy blue afghan lately.  Now that it's cooler, it feels good to hold it on my lap while I work on it.  It also feels good to wear my flannel housecoats now too.  Especially in the mornings.  It's time to get out my warm jammies.  

I was sleeping so nice this morning, and my little Lord Fauntleroy started barking at me to get up and feed him.  So I did.  And when he saw that his breakfast was plain old dog food, he turned up his nose and curled up in a ball and went to sleep.  Well!  I'll be!   Now that he sees me typing this post, he's back looking for some food.  

How about another new word?           Elflocks    (ELF-lahks)

Part of speech: plural noun 

Origin: Old English, late 16th century 

A tangled mass of hair  .Examples of Elflocks in a sentence :     (1) "She woke from her nap with a head full of elflocks."     (2) "When my hair gets long it always looks like elflocks."

It's good for the brain to learn new words.  Word puzzles are a great brain food too.  Especially for us older folks.   Keeping our brains healthy is as important as physical exercise is for our bodies.  

Enough for the smart stuff.  Now I'm going to the kitchen and make that cup of coffee.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all stay safe and have a fantabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B.

7 comments:

Robyn said...

Hi Edna,
The Temps have cooled a bit here too. It's been lovely at night. I've had my heat on in the mornings and the windows open the rest of the day. But, the warmer weather comes back this weekend. 80s again. Can't wait for the cooler weather to stay. The flowers are lovely especially the yellow ones. I play a game online called wordscapes. I like to keep my mind as sharp as i can although some days it seems to get up and walk off for a bit. LOL... Have a wonderful day today!❤😊

smiekeltje said...

Sometimes it is a miracle how some flowers still hold on and for so long. We too have still some flowers here and there.

It's good to have your warm jannies and loungewear out now, specially in the evenings. it is comfy plus it is warm.

The last few days we did see some tits come back to the seedfeeder again. Jan always calls them F16's(older type of military fighter plane, very fast).

Tomorrow I will have kind of free day, I will meet with Heidi for a small lunch early afternoon. Then we will have times to talk everything through!

Have a wonderful day, my friend,
Hugs
Kyra

A Brit in Tennessee said...

I'm enjoying our cooler weather, less humidity and nights in the fifties, window- opening nights :)
Those flowers are so pretty, I noticed yesterday that mums are now selling in the stores, all different colors and sizes, adding to the Autumn palette.
Enjoy your day sweet lady !
Hugs,
~Jo

Susie said...

I love learning like this...a tiny bit at a time. :) It will be warmer here tomorrow. It's been almost cold in the wee hours. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Beth Reed said...

The flowers are just beautiful. I was looking at some of the flowers in my Florida file a couple of days ago. It sure brought a bittersweet moment. I really missed getting to go last year.

It's a little past 5:00am here. I woke up at 3:30 and couldn't go back to sleep so I came to sit on the patio with my coffee. After just a few minutes I went inside for my robe. It's 72 degrees out here which is perfect but we have a steady breeze and that sent some chills ☺️ but the good kind lol.

I will go back to bed soon. My eyes are droopy. Xoxoxo for you and Pogo.

Theresa said...

Beautiful flowers to brighten the day:) The weather is warming up a tad in the next few days, but the hot hot days with high humidity are over. Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

Steve Reed said...

Olga does that too sometimes -- when she sees she's only being offered kibble, she's suddenly not that hungry!