Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Email Fraud

 September 9, 2020

Good morning.  Today we'll have sun with intermittent clouds, and temps in the seventies to the mid eighties.  This weather is like the gift that keeps on giving.  It's wonderful.

Yesterday was a rather busy day for me.  As soon as I figure out what exactly it was that kept me so busy, I'll share it.  I know I made a couple business calls, and I did find an item that I thought I had lost.  Other than that, I'm still scratching my head.

Has anyone noticed the increase in hackers getting into your email?  I get emails from creditors or my bank with important messages.  These messages usually need me to click on something and to update information, or they tell of impending problems with my account that need tending to. 

I usually just call the company in question to find out whether or not the email is from them.  Yesterday, I had two of these emails.  Both were fraudulent.  During one of these calls, I found that my credit card had been cancelled the day before because someone was caught trying to use it. (online)  Now I have to wait for my replacement card to get here.  (I'm very thankful that someone was watching out for my account.)

By now, everyone knows that animals are my soft spot.  They give us so much and ask for so little.  Life would be so dreary without them.  I borrowed this from the web to share.  It's such an important message.  Please don't shop... ADOPT!!!


Those of you who have adopted or fostered an animal have seen this for real.  It's why we get emotional when we watch our pets sleeping soundly knowing that they are safe.  I guess it's why I've taken so many photos of Pogo sleeping.  

For something on the lighter side, I also borrowed this image from the web to share with you.  

When I was a little girl, we had a music machine like the one in the image.  It was called a Victrola.  It had that big horn, and a handle to wind it up.

Now I'm off to do some blog reading.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all stay safe and have a fantabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B.

5 comments:

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Yes Ms. Edna hackers are a constant pain in the side, you have to stay on your toes always !
Customer service has gone to the dogs, always on hold, or call back if you are lucky ...
Life as we once knew it is no more I'm afraid :)
On a brighter note, the sky is blue and temps are tolerable today, the two baby deer and their moma have just visited the garden....
Have a wonderful day dear friend,
Hugs,
~Jo

smiekeltje said...

Goodness, good someone was looking fter your account!
I hope they blocked it in time, before anything was taken off?
It's only very annoying that you will have to ask for a new card and wait for it, in the mean time you cannot do a thing(best is to have two cards or so, I should consider that too).

Oh, I too get sometimes those hprrible emails. I just don;t open them, an surely don;t click on any links in them.
But it is hard to recognize false mailaddress from the good ones.
So you did the right thing to call the companies.

Love that second picture from the web with the text LOL.
But there is a lot of truth in it.

We will have some summerlike days soon in the weekend. Just two or 3 in temps of around 23-25C. lovely.

Have a wonderful day, keep busy with the things you don;t remember and all will be good, hahahahaha
Hugs
Kyra

Barbara said...

Your blog post is spot on! I, too, can have a very busy day and at bedtime I'm not real sure what I got done but it was full, nonetheless.

We adopted an adult Basset Hound many years ago to keep company with our Beagle. I named the Basset Elmer and we loved him so much. The Beagle -- well, she nearly drove me crazy, but things got better after Elmer came to keep her company.

I did make the mistake of decorating our Christmas tree with homemade gingerbread cookies. One evening while the entire family were in their rooms getting dressed to go to the church Christmas program, both of the dogs snatched that opportunity to take down the Christmas tree so they could get to those Gingerbread ornaments. It was quite a sight. I can't believe how dumb I was to do that in the first place.

Kathy said...

Hackers and scammers are all around us and we have to be so careful these days. Glad your bank was on top of things and even though it is a nuisance to have to wait for a new card, it's so much better than having someone use your card.

Mary Ann Roesler said...

I have a software called Mailwasher Pro. I love it. It opens as soon as I start my computer and I read through the addresses and either OK it or not. Then I wash the emails by clicking on a button and it remembers those I don't OK. After on like from me to you has been OK'd once it will appear in green and you only need to check those with no color or red. They may even have a free one to try first. Can't remember.