Sunday, November 15, 2020

Want A Special Treat?

 November 15, 2020

Good morning.  Today the sun is shining and temps are in the forties.  Tonight though, between eight p.m. and midnight, temps will be in the high fifties. ???  No problem, we'll take it!  It will most likely be raining then.  Afterwards, temps will drop back down into the lower forties.

When our first grandchildren were little boys (Bobby, JC and Trio), my hubby, Michael, would enjoy having the boys over once a month for the whole weekend.  Boys' weekend, they would call it.  They played on the computer, watched movies, sang songs and danced with the karoake, and made chocolate sherbert.  (This is Michael's original recipe)

The best part of this recipe was the very last ingredient.  Just before pouring the mixture into the trays you would add --- (sssssh!  Don't tell anyone, it's a secret.  Make sure no one is looking.)  a handful of love.  Believe me, it makes it all taste oh so special.  This was the boys favorite part of the whole weekend.  Actually, I think eating the sherbert afterwards was their favorite part.

Well, I'm not getting very far with my wrapping.  Every time I think I'm starting, I somehow get side tracked.  It's simply amazing how my mind works.  Remember that poem:  one two, buckle my shoe, three four, shut the door.  The numbers - that's me on my way to do what I thought I'd do.  The action - that's where I actually end up.  How does picking up an item to wrap have anything to do with chasing down a laptop file?  Or finding name tags have anything to do with checking a batch of junk mail?  

I don't remember being such a scatter brain in my younger days.  I do remember being able to multi task easily all the time.  Now just trying to "one task" seems to be a monumental task.  I get such a feeling of accomplishment when I actually start something and finish it all in the same day.  Must be an old person thing.

While surfing the web some time ago, I came across this very interesting article.  I was not aware of this and I thought I should pass it along to all of you.  The print gets bigger if you click on it.

Sometime today I'm planning on checking all my cactus plants to see what kind they are.  I do believe there are at least two different ones.  Easter, Thanksgiving or Christmas?  I'll let you know after I check all their leaves.

Now I'm off to do some blog reading before getting started on this new day.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all stay safe and have a fantabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B.

7 comments:

smiekeltje said...

Must have been real special weekends with those eldest grandkids and their granddad! Such things the kids always will cherish and remember.

Scattered brains? I do have attacks from that too. If you have a lot of wrapping to do, why not ask someone to help you? I know, everyone around you has a busy life, but it could be an option.

We had lots of rain today, it was grey and gloomy almost. So it was just the good afternoon to watch an recorded episode of Strictly come dancing. I love that program and there are again some very good teams.

Have a wonderful day,
Hugs
Kyra

A Brit in Tennessee said...

I can only imagine the fun times with your grandchildren, we are entertaining the next generation nowadays, a great-granddaughter who brings life back into these set-in-their ways grandparents.
Hope your weekend is a lovely one Ms. Edna !
Hugs,
~Jo

Kathy said...

My Joe would like that Chocolate Sherbert. I will have to make it for him.

I'm forgetful like that too. I guess I will just blame it on old age. Ha, ha!

I had no idea that Dawn had ammonia in it. The mixture of bleach and ammonia is very bad. I know someone who almost died while cleaning her kitchen with that mixture.

Beth Reed said...

Oh yes adding bleach to any kind of dishwashing liquid is very toxic. It is only in the very fine print on the dish soap. This is a very important warning that you passed along!
I wanted to call you today my battery on my phone was not charging and I didn't realize until tonight why. I had it on the charger but the end of the charger was behind my bedside table lamp and it had come out and I didn't see it until about 6pm tonight. So it is now charging and I will call you tomorrow!
Big Hugs to you and Pogo. xoxoxoxo

Buttercup said...

I made my list of to-dos this morning and thought I'd zip through it. Ha! I started by trying to print out a label and my printer didn't work. After a good hour it was working again, but I got totally off-track. Definitely didn't zip though my list. Have a good week.

Theresa said...

What sweet memories and thanks for sharing that recipe including the secret! I am easily distracted too these days when trying to accomplish things. My gifts are piling up and the wrapping needs to start soon:) Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

That was a special recipe, Edna, especially with that last ingredient that is not available in any store. Also that was a good caution on not mixing household cleaners. I keep a small bottle of bleach only and only use it cautiously as the fumes can cause headaches and dizziness as I learned the hard way a few years ago. And, who among us hasn’t used a bleach product and found it bleached out an unintended area of clothing.