Friday, August 14, 2020

Wow! A Two Seater?

 August 14, 2020

Good morning.  My phone app says temps will stay in the seventies today with lots of cloud cover.  That will be super nice.  As long as it isn't sticky, it's my idea of a perfect summer day.  Yesterday was a bit cooler but it was also sticky.

Last night I did manage a few rows on two different crochet projects.  After that, I did a few find-a-word puzzles.  I just wasn't in the mood to do much of anything.  I'm sure once the temps stay on the cooler side, I'll get right back into crochet mode.

My friend Kyra said I should be looking into instructions on how to build a broom with two seats and a little bucket (for Pogo) for my annual Halloween ride.  This way someone else could drive while I just enjoyed the ride.  How awesome!  I'll research that today.

Last evening I was watching a program on the Crime Channel.  At the end of the program, the suspect was found guilty and sentenced to life in prison without parole.  Next, it said that this person died a few years later while in prison, even before he finished his sentence.  ???????  Is there any other way to finish a sentence of life without parole?  Do the writers proof read their scripts?  

Today's mail brought a form to sign so that my daughter Laura Jean can get a flu shot.  Of course I signed it, and it's going right back in the mail.  The facility where she lives takes fantastically good care of her and all the other residents.  They are truly a blessing.

When I was young, my Mom sewed, crocheted, made rugs and all sorts of other things while taking care of her family and her home.  One thing she could not do was to read crochet patterns.  Instead, she would look over a really beautiful doilly (the ones with the pineapples and big ruffles all starched) and then go home and make the same doilly from memory.  That's how she taught me to crochet.

I was in my thirties I think, before I could read a knit or crochet pattern.  I would make my own patterns by writing down every stitch I made.  Eventually, I did learn how to read most patterns.  Here's a picture from the web to show the type of doilly my Mom could make without a pattern.

I posted this photo of my kids in their new Easter outfits before, but my friend Mary Ann cleaned it up a bit for me so that it is clearer.  I knitted the girls' outfits by writing down my stitches as I went.  (I did not know how to knit designs)  I still don't.)  Jr. picked out the materials for his red Nehru jacket.  By now, I was learning how to read sewing patterns too.  This was my first jacket.

Nowadays, I just stick to easy patterns.  This way I can crochet all I want without getting frustrated.  I know, it's a cop out but it works for me.  

Now it's time to do a bit of blog reading.  So, till Sunday, Y'all stay safe and have a fantabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B.

10 comments:

Steve Reed said...

OK, that's super impressive that your mom could make a doily like that without a pattern! And same for you with the kids' clothes. I admire anyone who can make clothing. That is a totally alien concept to me!

Martha said...

It sounds like you are going to have perfect weather today! My grandmother always crocheted, wish I would have learned. I was still too young when she passed away. I hope you have a great day. Get out and enjoy that weather :)

Mary Ann Roesler said...

I didn't know you knit those dresses. Wow, that must have taking you months.

I liked the colors. I wish I could have done better with restoring it to get their features but there wasn't much to work with.

Mary Ann

Susie said...

Edna, I loved the pictures. The story of your mom's work. My sister inlaw taught me to crochet, then I bought a pattern for vest and taught myself to do those stitches. I bet I could not make a thing today. So Many years ago. Blessings to you, xoxo, Susie

A Brit in Tennessee said...

I'm fortunate to have a few doilies like this one, it takes a lot of talent to create those, obviously your mom was just that.
Beautiful !
~Jo

Suemn said...

What a wonderful job you did with crocheting those dresses and the jacket. You are truly talented when it comes to crocheting!

smiekeltje said...

Ha, hope you will like the broom instructions!!!
What clever of your mom to make those kind of difficult doilies from memory! Wow, she was great!
Same with you, that you managed to make those clothes for your kids.
And understandable that now you like simpler patterns(just like me, I did crochet also difficult doilies from fine cotton, as my mother also did, I could read the patterns, but now don;t have the patience for it anymore).

It is still kind of sticky weather here, but getting somewhat better during the evenings.

Have a wonderful day,
Hugs
Kyra

Theresa said...

That ruffled doily is GORGEOUS! I can't imagine your Mom doing something like that from memory, WOW! Cute little children all dressed up! Enjoy your day dear friend, it's rainy just about every afternoon in my "neck of the woods"! HUGS!

Barbara said...

You and your mother are very talented (and smart!) people to be able to make such beautiful creations without reading the pattern. That doily is gorgeous. We just don't see thinks like that anymore, but I remember them from my childhood.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Hi Edna, you crochet projects look really nice and that's from someone who can only manage to make a simple repair with needle and thread. Years ago, many more people crocheted doilies but I have never seen one as complex or beautiful as in this post. Glad it has cooled down a bit and hope no hurricanes will be heading your way. Our weather has also cooled off, thankfully.