Thursday, June 25, 2020

Poor Duck

June 25, 2020

Good morning.  Today is sunny and temps should reach the mid eighties.  That makes for a really nice summer day.  Especially this morning, while temps are in the seventies.  This would be a good time to do some garden work.  

What do you do when you first get into your automobile?  I'd say that most of us turn the key in the ignition and start the car.  We don't even give it a thought.  BUT, we should!  Sometimes, small animals that are scared or cold climb inside our automobile's engine and sleep there.  

Imagine what happens to these poor animals when that engine all of a sudden starts up.  So, please, before you start your car, beep the horn or something else to make noise.  This will alert the animal and scare it out of its engine hideaway.  


I'm one those guilty persons who just hops in and starts the car.  From now on, I'm making an effort to make noise first.  Just in case.  If you have an automobile, won't you try too?

I was looking at a picture of a hummingbird earlier and it reminded me of a time when I once found one on the sidewalk.  I was probably around eight or nine, and my brother and I were forever bringing injured animals that we found home to take care of.  

This one day, I found a tiny hummingbird up against a building in a corner by the bottom step.  When I stopped to pick it up, it did not fuss.  It could not fly.  I took it home and Daddy made a big cage to put it in until it got better.  My brother and I had such fun taking care of our little friend.  One day, however, it was trying to fly.  Daddy said it was time to take the top off the cage to see if it could fly.  Yup, it could fly now, and it did.  

My folks never knew what sort of animal us kids would be bringing home.  There were lots of injured and homeless animals that needed tending to, and my brother and I seemed to find them all.  Of course, this might explain why my apartment was always full of different animals when my kids were growing up.  Management did not allow us to have a dog, so we had everything else.  Fish, birds, cat, rabbit, guinea pigs, mice, turtle, skunk, you name it.

Today I'm going to go through a ton of junk mail.  I could just toss it out but it has my personal information on it and I like to remove that first.  Some days I just don't feel like dealing with it though so I save it all up in a big bag.  Well, today is the day to get rid of a bunch of junk mail.  

On that note, I think I'll go do a bit of blog reading first.  Then on to the bag of junk mail.  Woo Hoo!  Before I go, let me share a funny story I borrowed from the web.



I'm off now to do a bit of blog reading before starting this great new day.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all stay safe and have a fantabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B.

p.s. Deanne, that DQ date sounds like fun.  Maybe every other week?  I love you too.

4 comments:

Steve Reed said...

You had a pet skunk?! That must have been an adventure!

I honestly don't think it hurts to just throw away your junk mail. I doubt there's any information on it that someone couldn't get easily some other way. (Just your name and address, right?) We just throw ours in the trash and leave it at that.

smiekeltje said...

Oh, that story of the duck......... little bit mean of the vet but I smiled!

We also had almost always some pets around, fish, dog, cat, even a turtle and I tended to a hurt blackbird too. Can't really remember if it survived.

Tomorrow our neighbor will come over to talk about the new windows.
I hope we will soon find a good company with a good price and that it can be done before fall.

Very warm weather here today, around 30C! Didn;t do very much, just a laundry.
\
Hopefully your weather will stay nce for ,uch longer too.
Have a lovely day
Hugs
Kyra

Jan said...

Funny story!
We save junk mail until the grands come to visit. Locklan, who is 5, will shred for an hour for 50¢ or a chocolate milk shake.

Too bad you don't live close by.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Enjoyed the humor today, Edna, and shared with my husband who also laugher, thanks. Good advice on what to do before starting your car and driving off. You certainly had a menagerie of pets and sure they were all well tended to by you and your siblings and later your children.