Sunday, June 21, 2020

Happy Father'sDay

June 21, 2020

Good morning.  Today is hot and sunny.  A great day for those Father's Day barbeques, as long as you have an umbrella or two set up as shady places where folks can rest a bit out of the sun.  

If my Dad were here today, he'd be 109 years old.  When I stop to think of all he lived through, it's really incredible.  He was a young boy during the First World War.  Next he was raising his own family through the Great Depression and World War II.  

For many years, he worked at the Fore River Shipyard.  Then along came the Raytheon Company who built their huge new company quarters at the end of our street.  It was so close to home, so Daddy went to work there.  I have so many happy memories of the years we lived there.  

My Daddy's favorite color was blue.  And he had a passion for bringing home and fixing up broken down cars.  I remember one time when he actually had to push the car home.  The first thing he would do with each new (to him) car was to paint it blue.  

If you gave my Daddy something that you couldn't fix, he would turn his magic on and present you with something really beautiful.  His friend Maxi once gave him an old upright vacuum cleaner to fix.  It couldn't be fixed but Daddy did manage to do something wonderful to it.  When Maxi came to pick it up, he couldn't even recognize it.  It was now a beautiful plant stand.  

One of the things my Daddy loved most was playing with my children.  Here's a photo taken in August 1965.  We were at his summer cottage, and he was entertaining Kerri and Audrey.  He would squeeze the ball in his hands and blow on it, and his hat would magically rise up off his head.  I don't think the girls ever did figure out how he did that trick.  


I only have a handful of photos of my Daddy.  This is one that was taken that same year when my parents came to dinner at my house.  As you can see, his favorite outfits were plaid shirts and chino pants.


Do you have some wonderful memories of time spent with your Dad?  I hope so.  These are treasures that we will have forever.  So, for those of you whose fathers are not here with us, I wish you a day full of beautiful memories.  And for you folks lucky enough to still have your Dad with you, enjoy the day making new memories with him.  

Now I'm off to watch a couple programs on how to make a quilt.  No, I'm not going to make a quilt, but I do love learning how they do it.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all have a safe and fantabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B.

5 comments:

Theresa said...

What a sweet walk down memory lane with you. I have so many memories of special times with my Daddy too. I love him and miss him every day. I loved walking with him in the garden, he always had the most beautiful vegetable garden! Enjoy your day and learning how to quilt! HUGS!

smiekeltje said...

It's a good thing you have such good memories of your Dad. I was a lucky girl too, to have a really wonderful Dad. he was gentle, with lots of humor, handy too, specially with wood, liked very much to garden.
I loved my Dad so much and still miss him, think that will never change.

Loved the photo of your Dad where he does his trick. it really must have seen like magic to the children LOL.

Oh, quilting! I am always in awe when I see those beautiful quilts. It is such a time consuming work, one must have a lot of patience!

Have a lovely day, edna!
Hugs
kyra

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks for sharing these sweet memories of your father, Miss Edna. My father is also gone, and I also have many happy memories but wish I had learned more about his earlier life.

Steve Reed said...

Nice pictures. (How DID he do that hat trick?!) I didn't realize until my father died how important Father's Day would remain to me, as a time for remembering.

Buttercup said...

Your father sounds terrific and I enjoyed learning about him. My father would be 103 if he were still alive. He died in 1981, and it still surprises and saddens me that I have lived more of my life without him than with him. I went through pictures and enjoyed remembering good times of the past.