Thursday, July 8, 2021

How To Pick Out A Watermelon

July 8, 2021

Good morning.  Tis a really nice day today.  Temps will be in the low seventies.  Last evening, we had a thunder storm, and it really cooled things down.  

Yesterday was a very restful day.  I never once opened my laptop.  Of course, that means that today I have twice as much blog reading to catch up.  I was going to make a pot of meat sauce but I didn't get around to it.  So, that will be another project for today.  

I did get some crocheting done.  Both the pocket wraps now have less than sixty rows to go before they are ready for pockets.  I'll have to start looking for new crochet projects pretty soon.  I may even start a new afghan.  

Here's an interesting chart that explains how to pick a good watermelon.  

In case you can't read the small print, it says:

MALE -- elongated, watery.  FEMALE -- round and larger, sweet.  WHITE SPOTS -- tasteless.  ORANGE SPOTS -- delicious.  GREEN STEM  -- green watermelon.  DRY STEM -- ripe watermelon.  SMALLER WEBBING -- bland watermelon.  LARGER WEBBING -- sweet watermelon.

Here's another helpful tidbit about the garden.  I was not aware of this.

My weather apps say that we have tropical storm warnings for today and maybe tomorrow.  I'll need to keep an eye on this.  Now I'm off to catch up on my blog reading.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all stay safe and have a fantabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B.

6 comments:

Rita said...

I never knew about leaf cutting bees and I watch a lot of nature shows--LOL!
I am always behind online it seems these days. Trying to do some catch up today, myself. ;)

smiekeltje said...

So your temperatures are better to handle now again. Great. Here weather is nice too.
I didn;t know about the watermeloons and also not about the leaf cutterbee. Good info.

I only did a laundry today, oh no I also did some ironing and cleared out one small cupboard again. Yeah! Did some reading in the garden, with a cup of tea. Wonderful day.
Plans are to go for our curtains tomorrow.

Keep an eye on that tropical storm warning, hope it will not reach you.

Have a lovely day,
Hugs
Kyra

Barbara said...

Cantaloups and watermelons -- for me it's a real guess as to how good they are until I take a bite. Thanks for the tips!

Nani said...

Edna,

I think maybe after I get my eyes checked so I can see again, I might have to venture out to the grocery store or produce market with that watermelon information. I love watermelon and if my old friend who is my new Aide is a fan of watermelon too, we may have to go pick out a nice sweet one and cut it in half and share it. (David is not a huge watermelon fan.)

If I blow my screen up really big, I'm able to do a little more reading and a little commenting today. And I am finally getting my world caught up so that I can read a little more (Blogs and books, but Audible is definitely my friend!)

I definitely have some catching up! And I know even voice to text can be hard so I'm probably not gonna comment on everything, but I am definitely back and reading again… and reading even more soon!

I've missed reading your blog and will definitely be reading more this weekend!

BIG hugs, Nani

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks for this information on how to select the best watermelon, Edna...now if only I remember to remember the tips! Yes, it's a rainy day all around New England on this Friday, perfect for an indoor chore like laundry and living in an apt building where others have the same thought, timing is everything! So mine is drying now and then comes the folding. I know what you mean about taking a day away from the PC and sometimes I don't turn on my desktop until after chores and other things have been done because it's SO easy to sit there for hours. I too am catching up on blog reading while laundry is being done, so its multi-tasking.

We're off this weekend for an extendedFamily visit in RI, so blog reading may take a back seat for awhile. A snail-mail letter was sent this week, my friend.

My Tata's Cottage said...

I knew the honey bee and carpenter bees and now I know cutter bees. I love the bees it is those evil wasps and yellow jackets that are Satan's disciplines! They are awful. They set up a nest in the door of Rebekahs car. The stripping fell off on the drivers side of the door. My SIL Jake is so brave he got rid of those evil doers. We thoguht they got into my littl eHYundai. It was parked in the yard, needing more repairs. But thankfully no wasps.
Take care and enjoy a new week.