Thursday, March 25, 2021

Ladybug, Ladybug!

March 25, 2021

Good morning.  The forecast for today has changed a bit.  Instead of a lovely sunny, warm day we'll be getting cloudy with bits of rain and afternoon sunshine. Temps are supposed to be getting up into the upper sixties and I was planning on having breakfast on the porch.  I guess now I'll wait until this afternoon to sit out there for a while.

I have to share a funny story that was told by the host on an old game show program.  (Sale Of The Century)  He was saying that Mikhail Gorbachev came here and was awed at the many different items in our stores.  Mr. Gorbachev told the host that while he was in a grocery store he saw powdered milk.  You just add water, and you get milk.  And, he saw powdered orange juice.  Again, you just add water and you get orange juice.  Then he saw baby powder, and said "What a country!"

I'm one of those folks that just can't throw out the yarn bits that are left over from projects.  I put each color in a baggie and keep them all in a large bag.  So, yesterday I went looking through the bag to see if maybe there were left overs of the color that I need to finish this last lapghan.  I found a baggie with just enough of the yarn to finish my project.  Woo Hoo!  

Of course, I still went online to check out any new yarn colors that I might be needing for future projects.  I'm thinking that I'd like to make another baby cocoon and hat set just to have on hand.  You never know when a new baby will be expected.  Plus, I want to make something in a really bright color.  Like maybe Fuschia.  Or Flamingo.  Or Mango.  Gosh, if I keep this up I'll be drooling.

I borrowed a chart from the web that I thought would be very helpful to all of us.  It shows what the bites of various insects look like on our skin.  These are: Spider, Mosquito, Tick, Bedbug, Flies.

And then I borrowed another picture to share.  I never knew there were so many different types of Lady Bugs.  Did you?   This picture shows seventeen different Lady Bugs.


You should not kill or spray these bugs.  They eat a lot of garden pests.  I checked with Wikipedia and according to them, there are 5000 different species of Lady Bugs in the world.  

Ladybug - author unknown.
Ladybug, ladybug, On the tree, Fly down here and sit with me.  Rest on m hand, I'll count your spots, 2,,4, 6,8 polka dots!

I just put the mail out for the mailman, and I see that the rain has stopped and it looks like it is clearing up.  Maybe the sun will be out soon?   Now I'm going to do some blog reading.  So, till next time, Y'all stay safe and have a fantabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B.

3 comments:

smiekeltje said...

So you still had a bit of the yarn yyou were working with. Great. nevertheless(and I could predict it hahaha)you went looking for some new yarn. Nothing wrong with that. Babycocoon sounds like a fun project, In bright colours always nice, I always also like that soft mint color for babies.

That joke is funny, you brought a smile to my face.
I knew there were different lady bugs, but didn;t know that there are 5000 different species. Gosh, that's a lot.

I am just back from some shopping. i went to buy two bags of soil for Jan, so he can go on with the sowing and also refresh some of the pots and containers, with some new soil.

Now time for a bit of relax time,
Have a wonderful day, hopefuly you can still sit on the porch for a bit.
Hugs
Kyra

Theresa said...

I save bits of string and ribbons to use later, I just think that is smart:) I never knew there were SO many types of ladybugs, I learn so much from you. Spring does seem to bring bug bites, I have to get used to spraying insect repellant on me before going outside. Enjoy your day dear friend, I hope you get to sit on the porch for a while this afternoon. HUGS!

Steve Reed said...

We have several different ladybug species here in the UK alone. We released two-spot ladybugs (which are native) into our garden one year to eat the aphids. I think they did help, but they didn't hang around long before flying off elsewhere.