Monday, March 8, 2021

How To Boil Eggs

March 8, 2021

Good morning.  Have you noticed how daylight comes earlier now?  And next Sunday we'll be turning the clocks ahead and gaining another hour of daylight at the end of the day.  I can handle more daylight!

I forgot to mention a few days ago that Deanne had brought me some Peeps.  Did you know that it's okay to eat the whole box of Peeps in one sitting?  Yup!  The package says that all five Peeps make up one serving.  And if you are watching your sodium intake, no worry.   There's no sodium in your Peeps.  (No cholesterol either!)  So I ate one serving that same day and one serving the next day.

I've had a hankering lately for egg salad, so I looked up (on Google) how to hard boil eggs in the microwave.   I did try one of those gadgets that they advertise on TV for boiling eggs.  When two of my eggs exploded in it, I got rid of it.  Google said to put the eggs in a bowl of salted water and cook for nine minutes.  Then let the eggs sit in the hot water for a few minutes.  I did this.  When the eggs had been cooled down, I put them in the refrigerator.

Next day, I took the eggs out and began to peel one of the them.  Oh YUK!  It was only partially boiled.  I tossed that egg out and put the remaining eggs back in the microwave and cooked them again for another nine minutes with several minutes of sitting in the hot water.

This worked - sort of.  I peeled the eggs, made the egg salad and promptly made myself a sandwich.  Even though it tasted wicked salty and not as I had expected, I ate it.  Big mistake!  That salad sat in my throat for the next couple hours, and not too nicely either.  The moral of this story is use the old tried and true method of boiling your eggs - in a pan of water on the stove.

I've been procrastinating lately about my tax stuff, but today it's time to dig in and try to finish them up.  Or at least come close to finished.  I'd like to leave tomorrow with a lot of free time for resting up.  I want to save my energy for my second vaccine shot on Wednesday, followed by a picnic lunch at the park.  

First I'm going to do some blog reading.  Before I go, let me share an adorable image that I borrowed from the web.  It's the best way to make it through a rainy day - with a friend.

So, till next time, Y'all stay safe and have a fantabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B.

8 comments:

smiekeltje said...

Never tried to boil eggs in a microeave(I don't have one, LOL), but I think indeed the best is the old fashioned way in a little pan on the stove.I sometimes, if I need eggs perhaps the day after or so and they should be hardboiled, I boil two or three in the same pan when I boil oitatoes, or sometimes veggies(which need a bit longer boiling). Mostly it works fine.

Yes, save energy for Wednesday, and hopefully you will have nice weather enough to do the lunch in the park.

Are the Peeps a bit different kind of marshmellow? I know here the "ordinary"but can;t remember seeing rhose Peeps. well, not much cholesterol, no sodium, so far okay, but isnlt there a lot of sugar in it? Never mind, you can treat yourself every now and then, why not? Today I bought us some candied ginger. I saw some and suddenly had the urge to have some. They come in little dice, with some sugar on it and taste wonderful. So in the evening, two or three little dice can make our evening LOL.

Take care and have a wonderful day
Hugs
Kyra

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I guess some things don't work as well in the microwave! I sure use it a lot but I still boil my eggs in a pot! Enjoy your day! Stay SWEET!

Buttercup said...

I'm a Peeps fan, too, but I'm putting off getting any. Once I start eating Peeps, one serving is never enough. Will be doing tax stuff today, too. Have a good day. Spring weather is on the way.

Steve Reed said...

In my experience, Peeps look much better than they taste. And yeah, I'm an old-fashioned stove-top egg boiler.

Suemn said...

Thank goodness I don't care for Peeps. ha! My niece loves them. There's lots of other candies that I do like though and I always have several different kinds of candy in the house. I don't want to think about taxes but I'll probably do mine in a couple of weeks. I use online Turbo Tax and it's easier doing them with Turbo Tax than doing them with the paper form.

Jan said...

I think I tried every way imaginable trying to get perfect hard boiled eggs. Salted water, vinegar water, start hot,start cold...I even bought an electric egg cooker (which worked pretty good, but still had problems peeling them).
Then, for a reason that had nothing to do with eggs, I got an instant pot.
Wham-a-lam. perfect eggs every time. I even ran out and bought a 3 quart for my mom. Love it!

Anne Robinson said...

My grandgirl Addy has an egg cooker from Target. SHe loves it and says it is great cause you will never forget those eggs on the stove and burn the house down. Good advice. Ihear mixed reviews but I trust you did the research so thank you. Love the flower image in the rain. HUGS

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I also heard of someone else trying to cook an egg in a microwave and it also exploded, Edna, so you are nit alone. I always use the stovetop method and sometimes I get them right, taking them off right after boiling pint, let sit 10 minutes in water, then cool.