Monday, November 8, 2021

Meet Martha

November 8, 2021

Good morning.  Today is sunny and temps should get up into the mid fifties.  A little warmer than yesterday.  Sometime during the wee hours, I fell into a really good sleep and didn't wake up until the phone rang at 9 a.m.  I can't remember the last time I did that.  It sure felt good.

Today I'm going to give myself a little kick in the pants and wrap a few things.   After that, I'm going to reward myself with some crochet time.  Before the week is out, I'd like to start an afghan.  It will be my first project for next year.  

For those of you who haven't yet seen grouchy Martha yet (from the Social Security ads), here's a picture that I took from the TV this morning.  She's really quite a hoot.

I have a new word for you.  Scumble.  I first heard it while watching a painting program on TV.  I had never heard this word before so of course I looked it up.

    Scumble - verb - modify (a painting or color) by applying a very thin coat of opaque paint to give a softer of duller effect.

    noun - a thin, opaque coat of paint or layer of shading applied to give a softer or duller effect.

    Scumbling must be done over a dry paint layer, and you typically apply the paint unthinned, using a    dry brush.

Years ago, in my ceramic shop, we used this technique a lot.  We called it dry brushing.  It usually produced a very realistic effect.

Now I'm off to enjoy watching repeats of Law & Order.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all stay safe and have a fantabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B.

5 comments:

Suemn said...

Hi Edna,
I don't have cable and have not seen any Martha commercials. I'm glad you enjoy her. ha!

smiekeltje said...

Oh, good intentions, to start wrapping some things now! HAHAHA.But......also good you promised ourself after it some crochet time. Will that help? I am sure it does.
So nice you had a great long sleep. It feels really good when it happens, I know.
Have fun wrapping, in the mean time you can watch Law and order.
Wishing you a marvellous day,
Hugs
Kyra

Steve Reed said...

I'm glad you got some good sleep! I looked up "Medicare Martha" on YouTube and found the ad there. Opinions from commenters seem divided on whether she's funny or annoying. :)

Theresa said...

Oh a good night's sleep is sure a blessing! I haven't seen Martha:) But the adds about Medicare/insurance are sure all over the place around here. I didn't know that word but I can think of times when this technique was used by me too. Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

Nani said...

Oh Edna,

I have to peacefully disagree with you about Martha. Daytime TV shows those adds a ton. And Martha really bugs me. (Although I do totally agree with her when she asks why she asks why she has to call for the extra benefits. I don't think we should be asking seniors to jump through hoops to get everything they possibly can out of their Social Security. It should be automatic.)

I remember reading you weren't so crazy about the Jimmy Walker one. But I have to admit that I think the George Foreman one is great. Out of all of the celebrities I've I worked with, he is absolutely the best.

When I was working in local programming for Cable, the marketing department asked my engineer and me if we could tape a press conference in Detroit for a pay-per-view. Everybody got to talk to the boxers and get soundbites etc.. I introduced myself and said that I was a local cable producer of high school sports and his eyes just lit up. I asked him say our tagline for the camera so I could use it in promotions for kids sports. I had a lot of professional athletes do that tagline but no one did it as well as George did. He won't put his name on something unless he really believes in it and in he never claims that he's getting extra money put on his Social Security checks he just urges other people to make that call.

In 10 years if George Foreman is encouraging people to call about Medicare benefits, that's gonna be the one I call. (hehe) :)

Hugs, Nani