Sunday, April 26, 2020

Pop Goes The Weasel

April 26, 2020

Good afternoon.  It's cloudy outside, and a great day to stay in bed and just watch TV or nap.  Pogo got up long enough to eat his breakfast and now he's back to sleeping.  I don't think he realizes that his birthday is Tuesday, or he'd be busy snooping around trying to find his present.

I have another cute photo of him sleeping.  What can I say?  He's so darn cute when he's curled up in a blanket or my fuzzy sitting jacket.  This is my fuzzy jacket that he seems to have taken over.  I like to wear it when I'm sitting up late at night crocheting.  


Yesterday, Deanne did some grocery shopping for me.  She also went to the bank for me, even though there's usually a long line there, and she mailed a couple packages for me.  I didn't have the poncho package ready so that will have to go out this week.  I'm thinking I should also try mailing off the poncho that is going to my grandson in Florida.  I think I'll call the Post Office (or ask the mailman) if this is a good idea or if I should wait a bit longer.

A while ago, I had asked one of the dwarfs if he would pick me up some toilet paper if he ever saw any at his supermarket (Shaw's) when he was shopping.  This morning, he brought me a package of four rolls of Northern Quilted Extra Plush TP from Shaw's.  It cost ten dollars for the pack.

I just went on Google and looked this item up.  It costs $12.48 at Walmart for a package of 12 Mega Rolls.  How does this stack up with Shaw's price of $10 for only four rolls?  Maybe I'm wrong, but I call this price gouging.  I just took this screenshot from the Walmart website.


I'm all stocked up on TP again now for a while, (Deanne had bought me some at Walmart) but you can rest assured that I won't be shopping ever again at Shaw's Market.  Before Walmart became a superstore selling groceries, I used to shop at Shaw's all the time.  Thank goodness I don't have to anymore.  

On to a fun note, Deanne had brought me two packages of  Peeps yesterday.  Green Peeps and Blue Peeps.  Need I say that all the green ones got eaten last night?  Yum yum!



Last night, I was watching NYPD Blue on TV, and in one of the episodes Detective Sipowicz had been reading nursery rhymes to his young son, and came away wondering what did it mean when the weasel "popped."  At work, he asked everyone if they knew what happened when the weasel went pop but no one knew.  

I looked it up on Google.  It dates back to the mid 19th century, (possible even the 18th century) and had to do with pawning one's coat in desperation to buy food and drink.  (that's one interpretation)  Pop  was a slang word for pawn.   The nursery rhyme "Pop Goes The Weasel" originated in England.  The "weasel" was Cockney slang for coat, and the "monkey" (who chased the weasel) represented financial trouble.

Well, I certainly learned something new here.  Hmmm, it seems to be an appropriate rhyme for present day situations in lots of places.  Who'd have thunk it?

It's time now for me to do a bit of blog reading.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all stay safe and have a fantabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B.

6 comments:

wisps of words said...

-chuckle- We do learn something new, every day, don't we? Well, if we notice, and look!

So many of those old Nursery Rhymes, had political meanings. That I knew, but never knew about "pop goes the weasel." And have forgotten what others mean. -grin- I should look some of them up!

You can "have my" peeps. I never got to liking them. What I really used to love, were the "OLD" Fanny Farmer Cream Eggs with Chocolate Covering!!!! Ohhhhhh my, ohhhh sigh! Remember going to a Fanny Farmer Store, to get them. -happy, happy, happy-

"Let the healthy
go back to work!"

🌱💛🌱💛🌱💛🌱💛🌱

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Well, I can't imagine finding toilet paper at any price! We sure aren't seeing it here in FL yet! I hope you've had a good day and the sun popped out! Stay safe!

smiekeltje said...

Why are people going so crazy about toilet paper????? Good, you have to stay ome as much as possible, but you can go grocerie shopping, isn't it? And this Covid doesn;t gives you diarrhea, so ......
And I might understand people did buy much extra in the beginning but still???? It was the same here, but after a week or so there slowly came again enough stock and now you can buy mostly without trouble.
It is a shame however that this supermarket charges so much money for only 4 rolls!
Good you can buy at Walmart.

I didn't know the expressions of the weasel, and it is interesting to know where it came from.

I will sit a while in the garden, today we have lovely weather, and good temps of around 19C, but in our garden in the sun it feels much more! Later this week it will be much cooler, so we have to enjoy nice weather whenever we can. Good for the vitamines.
Have a wonderful day!
Hugs
Kyra

Theresa said...

I love peeps and didn't eat any this Easter. I bought toilet paper before this all started and only once purchased one pack during the stay-at-home order. I paid $7.00 and thought it was expensive for a small pack. It appears we are getting gouged. I never thought about "Pop goes the Weasel" but interesting tales. Have a blessed day dear friend, tell Pogo HI!

Sue said...

Thanks for the info on Pop goes the weasel, I still have an old one in a trunk. Ha!
I think there has been a lot of price gouging lately, stores knowing of the shortage of much needed items should be ashamed of themselves!
I love the peeps!
Please give sweet Pogo a big birthday hug from me, he is so adorable.
Blessings,
Sue

Steve Reed said...

I hadn't ever thought about the literal meaning of "Pop Goes the Weasel"! I guess I had a vague idea it was popping out of a hole in the ground. Ten dollars for a four-pack of toilet paper is ABSURD! I'm surprised that's even legal, honestly. Sounds like price-gouging to me.