Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Remember The Bright Yellow Dot?

December 8, 2020

Good morning.  It's early, gray and twenty nine degrees outside.  We may get up to thirty three later today, and we may get a sprinkling of snow.  We'll just have to wait and see.  

I'm watching a program about painting a scene with acrylic paints.  The painter is Roger Bansemer, and I have to tell you, so far I'm not very impressed.  He starts out by coloring big blocks on his canvas with a piece of charcoal to show where all the large pieces should be.  Then he pencils in some lines.  

Now he's spreading globs of dull color on these charcoal parts.  He doesn't really paint objects, just splotches that sort of look like they could be something.  Not my type of painting.  I suppose though, different strokes for different folks.  Now he's using white chalk to draw some rough details on the dark colors.  Really?

I used to have a ceramics shop and we did a lot of painting there with acrylics.  And we never painted the way this fellow is painting.  However, once this fellow's painting is close to being finished, it doesn't look all that bad.  Hmmm, we learn something new every day!

Today I want to share a beautiful photo that my son in law, Mac, took from his front porch a few nights ago.  Mac, this is gorgeous.  Thank you for sharing it with us.

How about a blast from the past?  How many of you got to knead the oleo to make the butter yellow?  This comes from back in the forties.  My brother and I got to take turns doing this when we were little.  (image borrowed from the web)


Ain't progress grand?

I have a grocery order being delivered today, so I need to wash some dishes, etc. first before the groceries get here.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all stay safe and have a fantabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B.

4 comments:

Suemn said...

Oh my gosh. I was born in 1952 and I remember those bags of turning the butter yellow. I wish they sold it now so I could show it to some of my younger siblings. ha!

smiekeltje said...

Hmmm, I am from 53 but I cannot remember seeing making butter yellow this way here in Holland.

I hope you get all your ordered groceries, so nothing will be out of stock.

We just had our minced meat stuffed orange pepper with the potatoe out of the oven and it was delicious.

Hopefully you will still have not too cold temps and no ice or snow yet!

have a lovely day, my friend
Hugs
Kyra

A Brit in Tennessee said...

I love that shot, just perfect !
Hugs,
~Jo

Mary Ann Roesler said...

In Wisconsin, the Dairy State Oleo was not sold. Since we live next to the border of MN and only 30 miles from Iowa many went to get this Illegal product. But once hooked on the real thing...butter this was like colored greased. Never used in our home.