Wednesday, December 9, 2020

More Oldies But Goodies

 December 9, 2020

Good morning.  Tis cold, only 23F degrees, and we may get a sprinkle of rain or snow later today.  Goodie, goodie.  Tomorrow is supposed to warm up a bit though, into the forties.  

I was toodling around the internet this morning and came across an interesting article.  Have you ever wondered how many of our companies are owned by China?  I clicked on the article and was flabbergasted at how many of our companies are on this list.  Big companies, little companies.  It makes me wonder which companies are the Americans spending their money on.  Hmmm, food for thought.  (you can check it out on Google)

Then I read an article on how to unclog your drains with hydrogen peroxide.  You pour it down the drain, let it settle for an hour, then pour several cups of hot water down the drain.  This destroys organic matter that builds up in the drain, and also keeps pipes free of mildew and mold growth.  Interesting.

On the news this morning, they mentioned that a couple of health care workers in the UK that had the new vaccination for Covid 19 had severe reactions to the shot.  They both had severe food or medicine allergies.  With severe allergies, I wonder why they even got the shot in the first place.  Just something to think about.

Here's another memory from the fifties and early sixties.  We could actually afford to take our children to dine at McDonalds in those days.  


Would you look at these prices?  Even with a car full of little kids, you could feed them all for a little more than a dollar.  Not now, nope, not now.

I found another "oldie but goodie" on the web to share.  This is a picture of the gym suit that we girls were required to wear for Physical Ed back when I went to school.  Not too many of us liked these suits.  Especially when we had to wear them outside and all the boys could see us.  Gosh, I had almost forgotten about these suits.


Yesterday, my grocery order arrived on time.  Alas, it was missing a couple items that were not out of stock.  I had to call the store and speak to a manager about it.  Within thirty minutes, he had the missing items delivered to my porch.  I appreciated that, but the items should not have been missing in the first place.  (they were a case of spring water and a large pack of toilet paper)

Today I need to make some calls about my car insurance.  It's wicked how the price of it keeps going up and my car hardly ever gets driven.  The new bill came in for $1600.  This is just too much for an elderly person to have to pay when they hardly ever drive.  

Also, they had the year that I first got my license wrong on my policy.  They had 1956, and I got my license in 1955.  The lady on the phone fixed that for me and then told me that this would make my bill even higher.  Every extra year of driving (for senior citizens) adds more money to their bill.  Even if they have a clean driving record.  (like I do, no accidents, tickets, nothing)  This is just not fair.

Enough of my babble.  Now I'm off to wash some dishes.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all stay safe and have a fantabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B.

6 comments:

Suemn said...

Hi Edna... you might want to think about changing to liability car insurance rather than comprehensive car insurance. That would help in lowering the price of car insurance for you.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

You are right, Edna, so many companies thought of as US-owned are in fact not. I have been checking the labels of all items we buy and learned that the name brand contact lens solution I had been using was made in China, so I switched to Bausch & Lomb (USA made). The same goes for many of the hand-sanitizer and other disinfectant products. And, I won't even get started on all the masks being sold and their point of origin (sorry I just did). Thanks for the drain cleaning info; I've read that baking soda and vinegar also help. It's amazing what you can do without buying speciality products for some household cleaning tasks. Wow on those fast food prices and compared to now those were a bargain, although some folks might have said prices were too high even back then. Yes, our car insurance also increased and this was after we were given a refund earlier this year for not driving as much.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

We get our groceries in the pick up at Walmart now and it sure is better than walking through that store. Glad they got it right with your missing items. The info about clearing drains doesn't work. The hot water helps but that's probably the reason it clears. You get good and not so helpful things on the internet, don't you? But I'm glad we have our blogs to encourage each other! Sweet hugs!

smiekeltje said...

Suddenly my comment disappeared! And now I don't really remember what I wrote hahaha.
I am glad that the manager delivered the missing good in short time, but is is annoying to have to call about it.
For the drains I sometimes use caustic soda(I use often a powder form but it is also available in grains) Some of it on the drain, real hot water over it, and it seems to work with me.
And it is cheap stuff.

What an aweful lot of money for that car insurance! And the more years you drive without accident, the more you have to pay(has to do with age too, I am sure).

Have a wonderful day, stay safe!
Hugs
Kyra

Theresa said...

It scares me how many companies are owned by China!!!!! I have ordered some things from Amazon and the labels are in Chinese and I had no clue when I ordered them:( My to-do list is so long but I am pecking away at it. Enjoy your day dear friend and stay warm, HUGS!

Mary Ann Roesler said...

I joined the band for 4 years so I didn't have to wear those bloomer gym outfits. Could play clarinet, bell-lyre. I think that's the sin of PRIDE!!