Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Memories From The Past

March 31, 2020

Good morning.  Well, today is the last day of this month of March.  Tomorrow we can welcome a new month and hope that it brings healing and peace for all of us.

I'm getting a really late start today.  I did get up early this morning.  Pogo was very hungry, so I made us breakfast around 5:30 am.  After that, I thought I might start doing a few things, but then I decided to try for a few more winks instead.  I did, and I was very successful.  Isn't it amazing how much easier it is to fall asleep in the daytime than it is in the nighttime?

A while ago, I was looking for something on the web, and I came across a picture of a Quonset Hut.  How many of you either remember, or even know what a Quonset Hut is?  I remember them from back in the 1940's.  There was a large empty lot at the end of the street that I lived on, and some of these Quonset Huts were set up there and families moved in.  Oh my, so many nice memories.

The design for these was based on the Nissen Hut that originated from World War I.  In 1941,  The George Fuller construction company manufactured the Quonset Huts on behalf of the U.S. Navy.  In World War II, the U.S. Navy needed buildings that could be quickly assembled and disassembled but could withstand the rigors of the military.  Hence, the Quonset Hut was created.  It was a vast improvement of the Nissen Hut.

After the war, these huts were needed for many things, including a place for families to live.  There's such a lot of interesting history about the Quonset Huts.  I downloaded a few pictures from the web to show how they made nice homes for a lot of folks.




Today I need to go online and see if I can straighten out a couple problems.  All the creditors have stopped answering their phones.  Instead, when you call you get a recording telling you to go online.  I paid a bill on 2/28/2020 (that wasn't due till 3/20) but the newest statement says the payment was never paid.  Now they are tacking on late fees, interest, etc.  This will not do.

Gosh, I hope this is not going to be a regular happening during this time of "no contact, no calls."  Ah well, I'm off to tend to this.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all be safe and have a fantabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B.

6 comments:

smiekeltje said...

Very bad thing that a lot of companies cannot be reached by phone at the moment.
And on line is okay, but not always the quickest of ways to get an answer. Hope you're payment problem will be solved soon.
I don;t know if we had those kind of huts here. May be something in the same way but of different shape? To know I could do a little research(if I think of it LOL).
Jan has some garbage sacks full of garden stuff(pruning stuff, dry needles of the ceders that have fallen down on our ground, weeds etc.) I should have called city council office today, they pick it up for free, they will h=give you a date of the picking up. But I did some other things and forgot. That will have to be done tomorrow.
Now I will watch a bit of tv, in the meanwhile working on my afghan. It is in different stitches, now I will try my hand on the Herringbone half double crochet stitch.
Have a good day,
Hugs
Kyra

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

Nissen huts used to be all over the countryside here when I was a boy. Some were left over after the war and others were taken apart on air bases and re-assembled to serve as workshops, chicken sheds or pig sties. I don't think we ever used them for living in though we did have a lot of flat roofed, square sided houses which we called pre-fabs (pre-fabricated housing) which lasted for several decades after the war had ended.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Our American Base in my hometown left behind hundreds of these huts when the soldiers returned to the USA. They were offered for sale to the locals, and many of them were bought to use in their gardens, or for storage. Cute little huts.
I've noticed even the customer service support via websites are slow or non-existent, every one sent home to work from home, but their homebased internet providers are running slow very slow....
Times they are a'changing methinks.
Take good care of you and Pogo, stay home if you can.
Hugs,
~Jo

LV said...

I have your sleeping problem as well. I could sleep during the days, but do not want to get in habit. Most days so tired from lack of sleep.

Theresa said...

Good morning! I am not familiar with those huts but I am going to go look at them. Enjoy your day dear friend, hope you got your bill straightened out. HUGS!

Mary Ann Roesler said...

Our local university had Quanset huts set up for returning GI's and their families. I remember seeing them as a child on campus. Long gone of course now.