Thursday, March 5, 2020

I Need To Go Yarn Shopping!

March 5, 2020

Good morning.  It's such a beautiful morning here in Kissimmee.  It's sunny with temps of 69F degrees.  Later temps will rise into the upper eighties.  We may even have a rain shower this afternoon.

Well, I've been busy.  My box from home arrived yesterday, so I was able to finish off both of the ponchos.  I prefer them without the fringe, but I will cut the fringes and give them to the kid's mothers if they want fringe.  They can have the fun of tying them all on.  Here's what my little poncho's look like.  Please forgive the shading.  It's from the lamp on the table.



I hope these fit the girls.  Alima and Aurora are both four years old, but Alima is a bit taller than Aurora.  That's why one poncho is a little bit longer (the raspberry one) than the other one.  Next, I started on one of the knitted skirts.  First I tried to use a circular needle, but the stitches looked too big and loose.  So, I undid the whole thing.  I switched to straight needles

After about ten rows, I realized that I started on the wrong row.  I was missing the first three rows.  ???  It's turning into a bad hair day.  I undid everything again.  As I took the piece off the needle, I noticed how big it all looked.  Now I switched to a smaller needle.  Four rows later, I undid it all.  I figured out that it is the yarn.  The pattern calls for a chunky yarn, but this yarn is wicked soft and stretchy.  

It's looking like the girls (Lilah and Jazzy) will be getting ponchos instead of skirts.  Maybe some other time I can try the skirts again.  When Audrey gets here, maybe we can go shopping for some more yarn.  

Speaking of Audrey, she's been learning to make leaded glass ornaments.  She made this piece last evening.    It's beautiful, Audrey.  How about a red Cardinal?  (just kidding)


I've been watching the news a lot about the Corona Virus.  Some airlines will be cutting back on their flights soon.  I hope they can wait until Pogo and I get back home.  Also in the news, some communities are starting to ban Dollar Stores.  OH NO!  I love this store.  They say that because these stores sell packaged food items, it's to blame for the poor diets of people in poor neighborhoods.  Really???  They say supermarkets cannot compete with these Dollar Stores.  Really??  

I guess then, supermarkets should be banned from selling all non-food items.  After all, the hardware stores, stationery stores, gadget stores, etc. cannot compete with the markets.  It's only fair, right?  What is wrong with people today?  Don't worry.  I'm not going to go off on a rant here.  I'm on vacation and the news people are not going to spoil it for me.

So there!  Now I'm going to get a nice cold bottle of water and do a bit of blog reading.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all have a fantabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B.

4 comments:

Steve Reed said...

Love the ponchos! I think fringe is always good. :)

Barbara said...

Welcome to Central Florida, Edna!!! You may have watched the same TV news cast we saw this morning -- you're reporting what we saw. Isn't that wild?! (we're north of you about 100 miles)

I prefer the shawls without fringe. Too much froo froo makes me crazy. What you've done is really pretty and the recipients will love them, I'm sure.

The leaded glass ornament is very pretty!!

Enjoy your time here. I'm glad you could escape winter for a bit.

LV said...

Enjoy your time away from home. You do great crochet work. I never learned to do that, but needlepoint was my thing.

Theresa said...

Oh dear friend, those ponchos are GORGEOUS! Those little girls are going to love them. Sorry about the skirts, sounds tough to make those. Enjoy your day dear friend, I visited that part of Florida last year, beautiful place! HUGS!