Sunday, April 24, 2016

Do Our Votes Count?

April 24, 2016

Good morning.  It's a little cooler this morning, but it's still nice.  The sun is shining and in a few hours the temperature will get up to around 60F degrees.  I'll take it!    I was hoping to sleep in a bit late this morning, but Pogo had other ideas. 

Somehow he always knows when Joe is up, and promptly at 7 a.m. Pogo was out at my pantry door barking to let Joe know that it was time for turkey treats.  A minute or so later, Joe opened my door and let Pogo out into the house to have his turkey.  Unfortunately, unless I get up and go out there to stand by him, Pogo will just stay by my door and continue barking.  So of course I had to get up.  (groan, groan.  The things we do for our fur babies!)

There is an article in the magazine section of today's newspaper about Electoral votes and whether or not our votes count.  (newspaper is The Patriot Ledger)


People should really look into this and learn how this system actually works.  We are brought up to believe that it is a privilege to be able to vote, yet according to this system of the Electoral College, our votes really don't count toward electing a president and vice president. 

One would think that electoral votes would go to the candidate with the most popular votes, but it does not always work that way.  This whole system can be quite confusing, so it would behoove folks to study it and learn more about it.  In today's system, the individual parties put a lot of pressure on these electors to make sure they vote the way the party wants them to. 

This system may have worked many many years ago, but I think it has become antiquated.  I've seen how a candidate can win the majority of the popular vote (that's our votes!) and still lose the election because the electors did not vote for him.  Maybe it's time for us folks to decide on what we think is a fair system and make changes.  What do you think?  I mean, if our votes are not going to count, why are we voting???

Just so you know, I still plan to vote.  I keep hoping that things will work out and that "we the people" will get what we vote for.

Now that Spring is here, there is a whole new insect population visiting our yards and gardens.  I found this image on the web and thought I would share it with you.  Yesterday, there was a huge bumble bee flying around in my little garden.  It was quite busy checking out the new blossoms. 

However, you should know the difference between Wasps and Honey Bees.  The honey bee is very good for the garden and will not bother you.  But, if you mess with the wasp, it will leave you with a nasty reminder not to bother it again.


Yesterday, I did not do much of anything except try to nap as much as possible.  For some reason, I was very tired and really did not know why.  Thank goodness, today is much better.  I have laundry to do, and I want to find a good place for our new rose plant so that Joe can plant it.  I think I'll have him plant my newest tulip plants too.  Their blossoms have gone by, but they will come up beautifully again next year.

I will finish my coffee now and get started on this gorgeous new day.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all have a fantabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B.

2 comments:

Scarette said...

I enjoyed the whole article but I did want to thank you for the picture you poated (honeybee vs wasp) It will come in very handy!

smiekeltje said...

It is frustrating to have democracy(in a way) and to be able to vote, like we do here in Holland too, but that it feels that our votes not really count in the end. Still it is good to vote when we can.
Good you still have rather nice weather, here it is off and on a bit, but not the best for this time of year.
Going to post now on my blog, I even have a few photos, yeah!
Have a wonderful day.
Hug
Kyra