Monday, May 18, 2020

Still Learning New Words

May 18, 2020

Good morning.  Tis cloudy and the forecast on my weather app has changed.  The rain will  hold off till the end of the week, but the temps will still be a bit cool until Thursday.  Of course, this app isn't right very often.

Late last night I watched Madame Butterfly performed at the Metropolitan Opera (courtesy of Rhode Island PBS TV.  When I was a child, our babysitter took my brother and I to Boston to see a live performance of this. (more than seventy years ago) I remembered most of the storyline, but I still found it enjoyable.

Madame Butterfly is an opera by Puccini (1904) in which a Japanese woman marries an officer in the US Navy called Lieutenant Pinkerton, who later leaves her in Japan and marries another woman in the US. (According to Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English)

I learned a new word over the weekend.  It's "peripatetic" which means traveling from place to place for relatively short periods.  (Google)


While the kids were here on Saturday, Eddie put my little sign up for me.  I bought it a while ago but never got around to putting it up.  I rather like it. 


My hands are still acting up, mostly my right hand, of course.  Eddie uses a cream that he says does help, so they brought it over for me to try.  I have to say that it does help.  It makes the pain easier to cope with and lasts for a few hours.  It can be applied three or four times a day.  They bought it at CVS Pharmacy.


I ordered some white cotton gloves from Amazon to put on over the hand with the cream.  It seems that every time I put the cream on my hand, I have to use that hand right away to do something that can't wait.  I just hope the gloves fit.  They only came in one size.

Today, once it warms up a bit, I may go out on the porch to clean it a bit.  I promise that once the porch is all nice and clean and set up, I'll take some photos to share.  It's going to be so nice to be able to spend my mornings out there. 

Now I think I'll go to the kitchen and make a nice hot cup of coffee and then do a bit of blog reading.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all stay safe and have a fantabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B.

7 comments:

Laurel Wood said...

Good Morning! Hope your coffee tastes good this morning. That is a new to me word, too. We have light rain today. Yes, you will enjoy your porch. I love your sign. I'm happy the cream helps your hands and I hope the gloves will fit. Enjoy your day. Mildred

smiekeltje said...

Hope this cream will really help and not only eases but also let the pain disappear.
It's a good sign that is hung up now.

Better weather today again, still bit too windy, but in the garden it isn't noticable. There are some sparrow with yyoungsters now, that make an aweful lot of noic=se for such small birdies, telling mom and dad they are hungry. They can already fly(more or less LOL), but find it easy if mom or dad brings them their food.
Today we got the new media box for the tv, we installed it and it works.
But it always takes lots more time than they say in the instrcution book.
Never mind, it works and that's nice.

Have a lovely day,
Hugs
Kyra

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Please share if that arthritis creme does provide some relief. I have similar aches in my right shoulder and arm, which thankfully ease up during the day. I have never seen Madame Butterfly but think that there wasd a movie musical with the same theme. I wanted to say South Pacific, but don't think that's the one.

Theresa said...

Love that sign, it applies at our house too:) Hope the cream works and you can get some relief. It's cloudy/rainy and cool here today, that's fine with me. I didn't have to get out! Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

Steve Reed said...

You know, I'm not sure I've ever seen Madame Butterfly. Or have I? I can't remember! Anyway, glad you got to watch it and revisit a pleasant childhood memory.

I learned the word "peripatetic" from the musical "A Chorus Line." It's one of the words in the song "One":

She walks into a room and you know she's
Uncommonly rare, very unique
Peripatetic, poetic and chic

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

That cream will help and the gloves are a great idea. Hope you have a nice afternoon! Hugs!

wisps of words said...

What a lovely program to watch. And a lovely memory too.

A new word. Still learning. Good for you.

I Love Your Sign!!!!!!!!!

It's wonderful to know, that not everyone, in the state in which you live, is Liberal!!!!!!! With all that goes with, Liberal Views. Same here! Not everyone, in the state in which we live, is Liberal!!!!!!

Gentle hugs,
✨🌼✨🌼✨🌼✨