Monday, October 9, 2017

Happy Columbus Day

October 9, 2017

Good morning.  It's gray, wet and misty outside, but it is warm.  The temperature is seventy degrees, but we are expecting rain for most of the day and evening.  No problem.  Our reservoirs aren't full up yet.  They got pretty low this year. 

Today is Columbus Day, a day to remember Christopher Columbus.  Most federal and state offices will be closed and most stores will be open.  So if you're lucky enough to have the day off, have some fun and enjoy being with your family and friends.

Well, yesterday was a quite day for Pogo and me.  We sat out on the porch for a while to wait for the rain to come.  It wasn't very heavy, just wet.  I put a few rows on my afghan, and had a nap in the afternoon.   Here's a cute photo of Pogo.  He's still in his jammies.


The Emperor tree (that's what it was called when I planted it years ago) is growing nuts, and its leaves are beginning to turn yellow and fall off.   The nuts closest to the top of the tree are already
almost full grown. 



I tried to take a photo of the red and black hat and scarf set.  For some reason, I'm having trouble with the color red.  It comes out too bright.  Here's the set I made, but the red really is really a bit duller and redder.


Today I think I should do a bit of laundry, and maybe push the vacuum cleaner around a bit to disturb some of the dust bunnies.  Later, I'll finish the afghan.  There's only a few more rows to go.  Once that is finished, I'll have to decide on my next project.  Probably another afghan.  The crocheting really does help my hands.  The arthritis doesn't seem to flare up so much when my hands are busy.

I ordered my new Christmas cards a few days ago.  I can't wait to see them.  When they arrive, I'll start addressing a few envelopes at a time.  This way, they'll all be ready for mailing by the beginning of December.    I've picked out several photos for the next calendar, and I hope to have the rest of the photos chosen soon.  After that, I can order the calendars.  Woo Hoo!

Yesterday, I got a nice surprise in my email.  Beth made a new scrap page for Pogo and me, using the last quick page that I posted.  We love it, Beth.  Thank you so much. 


There was an article in the newspaper recently about an immigrant who is being sent back to his home country.  He has been in this country for more than twenty years, is married and has a family and a business.  His family thinks it is wrong that he should be deported.  My question is:  If he has been here for more than twenty years, why hasn't he become a U.S. citizen yet?  He's had more than enough time. 

I have nothing against immigrants.  But if a person moves here and wants to stay here, I believe that they should learn the English language and become a citizen.  They need to learn and respect our flag, our laws and our ways.  Nuff said.

Well that's about all that's happening here.  I think I'll make a fresh cup of coffee and catch up a bit on some blog reading.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all have a fantabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B.

No comments: