Friday, November 23, 2012

I Hope Your Day Was As Wonderful As Mine Was

November 23, 2012

Good morning.  Hope everyone had a fabulous day yesterday with family and friends.  Pogo and I had a great day.  Except for a bit of laundry, we just relaxed all day.  We had visits either in person or via telephone by family and friends, we ate good food and enjoyed a few trips out into the yard where we enjoyed the fabulous weather. 

A couple of highlights were the homemade cranberry sauce that I had with my dinner.  Mmm, mmm, mmm!  Audrey has a secret recipe of her own, and oh my!  Was that ever delicious!

 Next, Jasmine tried her hand at baking apple pie and cranberry bread from scratch, and brought me one of each.  Oh Lordy, this young lady is headed in the same direction as her mom and aunts and uncle.  All of my kids are wonderful cooks, and Jasmine is joining them. As a matter of fact, her older brother Bobby is a chef at a restaurant in a nearby town.  It sort of runs in the genes.

I didn't get much wrapping done yesterday, I was having too much fun just being lazy.  But this morning I'm putting up the folding table again.  I am so hoping that my cards and/or calendars arrive in today's mail.  It would feel good to get some of the addressing done too.

I also want to make a quick trip to either Walmart or the market to pick up more fixings for corn chowder.  I promised to make Deanne a big pot of chowder if she would just bring me the pan.  Along with yesterday's goodies came a big blue pot.  lol.

For those of you who don't have a recipe for the corn chowder, here's mine.  You may want to adjust the amounts of everything to make less.  I make a huge pot so that I can share.  If you cut the recipe in half, you should still end up with enough chowder to last a couple of days.

I start by peeling four large baking size potatoes into small pieces.  Next I cut up half of a large onion. and four or five strips of lightly cooked bacon.  The potatoes, onions and bacon go into the pot along with four cups of water.  I boil these until the potatoes are half or more cooked. 

Then I add two cans of creamstyle corn, two corns of whole kernel corn, and two cans of evaporated milk (canned milk).  I season with seasalt and pepper (not a lot, you can always add more later to taste).   If you make half of the recipe, and it needs more liquid, add a bit of regular milk.  That's all there is to it.  Enjoy!

I have a pretty photo to share.  I took this early one morning through the Mrs' patio doors before daylight.  There was a really pretty mama cardinal perched at the feeder just long enough for me to take a couple of photos.  Isn't she pretty?


I also have a wonderful cartoon to share.  This was sent to me by a friend, and I just had to share it.  It is so true of the double standards that society has for men and women. 


I have to laugh.  If we all dressed similar, you wouldn't be able to tell the men from the women!  lol.

Okay, that's all for this morning.  I want to get started here before I get too comfy on the couch.  I have today off so I'd like to get a few mailer boxes ready.  Wouldn't that be nice!  So, till tomorrow, Y'all have a fabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B.

4 comments:

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Thank you for the Corn Chowder recipe ... I have been hoping you would be willing to share it. Every time you talk about making it, my mouth waters.

I'm glad you stuck to your guns and had a nice relaxing day yesterday. You are overdue for that and having just rid yourself of a cold, you don't want to get over tired and suppress your immune system. The good food helps too, especially the cranberry sauce, oh boy!

You are still way ahead of me on Christmas, but I am hoping now that Thanksgiving is over I can focus more time on finishing my shopping. Like you I do most of it on line so I have to make sure I get my orders in time for shipping.

We had a nice traditional Thanksgiving dinner. I make the same things every year because everyone has favorites and that's what they are looking for. I did cheat and get a precooked turkey and, believe it or not, it was delicious and everyone was pleased with it, phew!

We had a cold front come in last night. We went from high forties to low thirties and the front brought strong winds with it, so we woke up in the night and the power was off. I was concerned because my refrigerator is stuffed with leftover ... but it is back on this morning.

Izzi woke me up twice to go out during the night. She had to many under the table offerings yesterday, I guess. Usually she can go all night and then some ... Well, Edna, like you I better get myself started or things won't get done. Hope your day is as productive as you have planned and that your mail is full of surprises :)

Andrea @ From The Sol

Nani said...

I want to try that corn chowder recipe! I think if I add some chicken breast cubes David will share it too. What is it with men and EVERYTHING has to have meat in it?

It sounds like it was a very nice day yesterday. It was nice except for the Lions game. MY poor football team of my birth started the Thanksgiving football tradition and haven't won on Thanksgiving for a decade now.

I did a lot of browsing to beat the broadband crows Monday today. ;) And most importantly; I finally finished our cards! I really struggled with what to say for a day and a half and then it hit me. I know you know how the creative brain works first hand!

I have to get back to MY laundry now...the buzzer calls!

Hugs, Nani

smiekeltje said...

Sounds you had a great Thanksgiving and how wonderful it ust be to have a free day of work today.
I say: Make the most of it, do just things you really like to do.
I bet Pogo is happy to have you around all day long!

Have a fantastic weekend.
Hug
Kyra

Anonymous said...

I always spent my half an hour to read this website's articles every day along with a cup of coffee.
Also see my webpage > lifestyle