Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Weeds Are Beautiful Too

May 5, 2020

Good morning.  Tis sunny today with temps in the fifties.  By the weekend, temps will be back in the  forties.  (thirties at night)  Brrr!

Yesterday was a quiet day.  I picked up the crochet project that I was working on and ripped out several rows.  Then I put them all back on, this time without the mistake.  Later, I finished the project, folded it and put it in a zippered plastic bag.  Now on to the next project.

After reading a friend's blog about the pesky Dock (weed) in his yard, I got out my I got out "The Lost Book Of Herbal Remedies" to do some research.  Dock (Curly/Yellow), Rumex crispus.  Curly Dock has a lemony flavor and its leaves can be cooked and eaten.

All parts of the plant can be used for medicinal purposes, but the roots have the strongest healing properties.  It is used to treat constipation and diarrhea, liver, gall bladder, detox and skin problems.  The broad-leaved dock, Rumex obstusifolius, is used in a similar manner.

I am a firm believer that there is no such thing as just a weed.  All weeds seem to have a special use.  Some are for healing, some for eating and some are just beautiful to look at. 

I borrowed something from the web that could be helpful for folks who wear glasses and have to wear a mask.  I'm going to try this because my glasses tend to fog up when I wear a mask.


Now before I head off to find some fun mischief to get into, let me share something fun that I also borrowed from the web.  This is all about that wonderful doggy art that we find  around the house and on our windows, both in the house and in the car.  (or truck)


I'm off now.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all stay safe and have a fantabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B.

9 comments:

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

What is it about shoes that is so fascinating to our canine companions? In Britain the leaves of the Dock plant are a well-known remedy for the stings inflicted by nettles - just rub the leaves on the sting and the pain goes away. Conveniently the two plants are often found growing in the same areas.

wisps of words said...

And weeds are some of the prettiest flowers!!!

Plus, dandelions are wonderful for bees, early in the spring. Later, when other flowers are flowering, the bees don't need them as much. But please don't cut them down, early.... My message. I'm sure you won't.

"She turned to the sunlight
And shook her yellow head,
And whispered to her neighbor:
"Winter is dead.” "

๐ŸŒผ๐ŸŒผ๐ŸŒผ๐ŸŒผ๐ŸŒผ๐ŸŒผ๐ŸŒผ๐ŸŒผ๐ŸŒผ๐ŸŒผ๐ŸŒผ๐ŸŒผ

Terra said...

The art, the artist, too funny. The dog looks properly proud of his work, yet surprisingly humble.

smiekeltje said...

True, weeds , or a lot of them, can be used as medicin, or just be eaten in salad, and some do really look nice. But still I don't like the most of them growing in my garden. LOL.
We had nice weather today, but only a cold wind made it less agreable. Nevertheless I did sit for quite a while in the garden to take in some sunshine. we are a bit sheltered of some winds, so that makes a difference.
Now I am off to do some more knitting and watch tv.
Have a lovely day.
Hugs
Kyra

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

He looks like he's saying....I didn't DO it! heehee! Take care!

Jan said...

I keep meaning to try the shaving cream, but never remember until I'm out and blinded by my steamed up glasses. Let us know if it works for you!

Theresa said...

I have some flowering weeds right now:) ALL are pretty to me. Cute Art/Artist:) Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

Steve Reed said...

LOL -- don't read my post today! It's all about exterminating the dock in my garden! :)

Seriously, it DOES have uses, and it's also a food plant for certain types of moths. But it's a weed I just can't abide, partly because it spreads like crazy. I figure there's plenty of it in the wild, and the stuff in my garden won't be missed. I do, however, allow dandelions, ragwort, teasels, green alkanet and other "weeds" to thrive, so I get where you're coming from.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks Edna for the info on how to prevent glasses from fogging when wearing a mask. I would pass it along to my husband but he doesn't have any shaving cream and uses an electric shaver. But next time I visit a Dollar Tree I will look for it. And yes many plants that people call weeds can be quite beneficial; sadly some others cannot.