Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Drab Can Be Good

February 11, 2020

Good morning.  I'm off to a late start this morning because I just did not want to wake up from such a blissful sleep.  Gosh, I'm sounding so poetic this morning.    Even Pogo did not want to get up yet.  Maybe it's because it is so drab outside.  Wet and gray with temps of 39F degrees. 

Yesterday was a rather quiet day with no outstanding feats of accomplishment.  Actually, a lot of my days are like that.  But it's okay.  A drab day is much better than the alternative.  Today, I hope, will be much more productive. 

This morning, I already called about a car reservation.  They are updating their computer so I have to call them back in an hour.  After that call back, I need to continue working on last year's receipts.  I'd like to be done with them by supper time. 

Yesterday, I mentioned that a second book had come in the mail.  This one is so awesome!  It's called "The Lost  Book Of Herbal Remedies."  Just about everything that grows in nature is listed in this book.  There really are no weeds.  Everything has either medicinal or food value, or both. 


I am so enjoying this book.  Did you know that Giant Burdock has many medicinal uses?  We used to call this plant "sticky burrs."   Parts of this plant are edible, and it is also used in cancer treatments.  When my brother and I were children, the lady next door used to cook dandelions for us.  Topped with a bit of butter and vinegar, they were sooooo delicious!   (I just looked this book up on Amazon, and they only have used copies starting at $120.00  Choke, choke.  I bought my book for $40.00)

Deanne was driving through the park a few nights ago and took this beautiful photo of the moon reflecting on the water.  Deanne, this is lovely.  Thank you for sharing.


Well, that's my news for today.  It will soon be time for brunch and I think I'll do some blog reading before making something to eat.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all have a fantabulous day. 

Hugs, Edna B.

4 comments:

Kathy said...

My grandfather used to eat dandilion greens when I was little, but I never tried it. It's amazing how many plants can be used.

Annsterw said...

Wow! Thank you Deanne!!! Beautiful photo!

smiekeltje said...

Long time ago people used a lot of herbs and plants(we call weeds now)for health purposes. They didn;t have much medicins yet like we have now, so they had to try the working of plants and often they did give awesome results.
I think we still don;t know quite enough about flora and fauna on our Earth, such a pity in a lot of places it is destroyed, without giving it second thought(or at lest so it seems often).
We should be more careful with it.
Gosh, only 3 weeks and you will be in Florida! Great to look forward to it.
You have a wonderful day,
Hugs
Kyra

Steve Reed said...

That does sound like an interesting book. I like dandelion greens too. And I planted some burdock last summer that I grew from seed -- it dies back to the ground in winter so it's all gone now, but we'll see if it grows and flowers this summer!