Tuesday, December 28, 2010

BOOM! CRASH!

December 28, 2010
*
Br-r-r-r! It's 5 am, and it's frigid cold!! The weatherman on TV says it is 17 degrees F and windy. I believe him. Outside my window, everything is white and frozen. As if this storm wasn't bad enough, the weatherman is now talking about another storm for New Year's weekend. I will have to keep watching to see what that is all about.
*
Yesterday, we finally got plowed about 4 pm. Whew! I'm so glad the plow guy could make it because there was a ton of snow in my yard. Just as he got here, I heard a loud crash to the side of my part of the house. Oh Oh! I am surrounded by large trees, so any loud crash really concerns me.
*
I got dressed warm and went trekking outside and around the back of my house. I noticed at least one big tree down in the back yard, and as I went around to the other side, I found the culprit. Another big tree had come down, hitting my roof and the side of the house. I can't see any damage to the roof or the house yet, but that is because I can't really get too close because of all the snow. I'm keeping my toes and fingers crossed.
*
I have a few photos that I took of the gentle giants that surround my house. The photos seem to come out as black and white, but that is because it was still snowing. The snow didn't stop until last night.
*
Here's a close up of the snow and ice laden branches. The weight of the snow and ice is why the other two trees came down.
*
This next photo is to show how tall these gentle giants really are. Do you see that little whitish blob in the lower left corner? That's the top of my red Japanese Maple tree. The cable running across the photo is the phone and internet cable that runs through the tree tops to the top of the electric poles on the sidewalk. .
*
We were lucky and did not lose our electricity, but we did lose our cable TV for about six hours. Considering how the wind was blowing things around, it could have been much worse. I am waiting for photos from Audrey, showing the snow that they got in Virginia, and will share them with you.
*
The weatherman is saying that sunrise will be at 7:12 this morning. I always thought that sunrise and daybreak were the same, but I guess I have been wrong. It will be daylight before 7 am. So if sunrise is at 7:12, I wonder what the difference is? (Besides 20 minutes!!!)
*
Well, my cup of coffee is quite cold now, so I think I will have to make another one. Till tomorrow, Y'all stay warm, and have a fantastic day.
*
Hugs, Edna B.

No comments: