Wednesday, September 11, 2013

New Credit Security Information

September 11, 2013

Good morning.  It's warm here in New England.  Those hot temps from the Mid West have caught up with us, but only for a couple of days.  After that we will be back with the cooler Autumn temps.

I got an email from  a friend that really bothers me, and I forwarded it along to several folks.  It was about a WiFi chip that is being imbedded into our credit and debit cards, drivers licenses, passports, etc.  This chip contains all our personal/credit information.  Supposedly it will make some things easier.  Like paying for things.  Instead of sliding your card through credit card scanner at the store, just place the card near the scanner and it will be read. 

Not only is this the height of laziness, but it also puts all of us at risk.  Anyone with the right equipment (which can be purchased cheaply) can just point their little machine our way, and presto!!!  They have all our info and can make themselves new credit cards with our information on them.  Anytime we show any of our identification cards, the bad guys can easily get the information just by pointing their little machine towards our ID.

We can ask our credit companies NOT to issue us a card with this WiFi chip embedded in it.  Likewise when we get our new licenses, but we have no control over our passports.  This little goodie is on all passports issued since 2006.  Hmmmm, I did not know that.  Did you? 

There is a web site you can go to for ideas and products to keep your information private, and your cards safe.  Meanwhile, you can cover them with aluminum foil.  So. please do check out IDStronghold.com.  Also, here is a video you can watch to learn more about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLAFhTjsQHw&feature=player_embedded

I will call my credit card company later to find out if they will be putting this little chip in my new card, and whether or not I have the choice of not having it on my card.  I also want to the check to credibility of this for myself.

How about something not quite so serious.  I have some adorable photos of one the ducks at the park who was enjoying a bit of bathing, preening and wing flapping.    When they spread their wings out like this, they are quite beautiful, don't you think?




Now I am off to maybe do a bit of vacuuming, and figure out what's for supper tonight.  Janet will be here, as this is our "gals' gab fest and eat whatever we want" night.  Our choices for supper are quite yummy.  DiGiourno Pizza, Stouffers Mac n Cheese, Home made pasta and meat sauce, etc.  Only the best for Wednesday night.  lol.

I'm making myself hungry now so I think I'll make a bit of lunch before doing my little dance with the vacuum cleaner.  So, till  tomorrow, Y'all have a fantabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B.

4 comments:

Mat's Merry Memoirs said...

Good afternoon! Been a lazy morning, but I am finally turning my computer on. So glad you had a nice visit the the Queen Jester and Left Brain. Also glad you are getting a couple of warmer days. We are finally getting some cooler (by 10 degrees) days. Thanks for visiting with me....check in again soon. Love your photos. Off to do some dusting and your dance with the vacuum! Chat more next time. Hugs for you and Pogo! Mat

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

They have been putting those wifi chips in cards for awhile. My son has an aluminum wallet he carries his cards in ... I don't know if they can get your info if it is in your purse with a bunch of other cards ... but sure is well worth looking into. Don't want my info out there making money for someone else. It is hard enough to make ends meet without that! Thanks for the warning.

Love your duck pictures ... I agree they are awesome when they stretch their wings. It helps when you have good camera skills to catch such good pictures. Nice job Edna.

I am going down to read. I have decided I should spend some time with a good book every day (that I can), to keep my mind active with something I enjoy. I love a good mystery and a good historical novel now and then. What about you ... do you have any favorite reads?

I have to say your choice of foods for tonight screams calories ... that is probably what makes it sound so good. Too bad you are far away ... I would come with the tossed salad and garlic bread. Yum ... yes, now you have made me hungry. May have to catch myself a little snak :)

You have a wonderful time tonight, Edna ... and share a little of the Pizza crust with Pogo :)

Andrea @ From The Sol

The Queen Jester said...

It's hot here as well,so much that Pete actually turned on the AC! He never does that,it's usually me whining about how hot I am.

smiekeltje said...

It is a terrible things with all those chipes inseide the cards we carry with us. Here too already some of them have that chip, may be more than we know.
What is wrong sometimes with paying with cash as we did long ago?
Okay, sometimes easy to use a card, but I still like to pay cash for the daily stuff like in the supermarket and other things.
You have better control of what you spend. It is scary that a lot of our personal info lies almost at the street. People who want to do "bad things"always find a way to retrieve that info with little devices.
We always can try to protest against it, but believe me, it may be will slow down the specificc chip to be put into our cards, but it will be done.
New ideas, inventions, ideas can make our life easier, but but are not always the best solyution for a quiet mind LOL.
It's a bit painting day today again, oh, there is light at the end of the tunnel LOL!
You have a wonderful day.
Hug
Kyra