Friday, December 7, 2012

Here's Rudolph!

December 7, 2012

Good morning.  I'm at work, so this will probably be a short post.  It's looking pretty gray outside so far.  Somewhere though, the sun will be shining because there was a lot of pink mixed in with the gray clouds on my way here this morning.   I'll have to put on the weather channel to see what's in store for us today.

I have a cute photo to share this morning.  Yesterday Deanne and Eddie came by and outfitted my car with a Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer costume.  I haven't seen these before, but they are sort of cute.  At least you know it's me coming down the road.


I took the photo when I got here this morning.  See the antlers and the cute red nose?   Gosh, what will they think of next? 

There was an article in the newspaper a couple of days ago that really bothered me.  It said that parents who have a low income and long work hours tend to have children with problems such as obesity, teen pregnancy and high dropout rates.  Really?  I wonder just which neighborhoods and families were interviewed for this study.  To be honest, it's plain rubbish.

When my kids were growing up, we never got out of the poverty level income.  I worked two and three jobs whenever I had to to pay the bills.  BUT, my children were raised to take their education seriously, pay attention in school and do their homework.  They were taught morals and values.  None of them was obese or pregnant.  They were good kids, and I'm quite proud of them.

Folks, your income and job do not make fat, pregnant (girls) drop outs.  It's the values that a lot of parents do not teach their kids.  When you have a lot of kids with no morals and values, a lot of other kids tend to follow them.  I think instead of trying to find something or someone to place the blame on, parents (and communities) should take more responsibility for how their children turn out. 

When you pour a lot of money into your schools to give kids every advantage you can, you expect to see it reflected in your kids.  However, if the kids do not want to learn, or have been taught that they only have to do what they want to do, they will not learn no matter how much you give them.  You can only educate kids who want an education.

Again, this goes back to the homes where the kids live.  If the parents have no respect for morals, values, education and law, it stands to reason the kids won't either.  My daughter tells me that the cities and towns are eligible for more government money if they can come up with studies like this showing how needy they are, and how it is making their kids go bad.  Sad to say, this is true.

I will admit that even though a lot of parents do teach their children right from wrong and how to be responsible, sometimes it's not enough.  There is a lot of peer pressure and temptation for the kids to go wrong anyway.  But, that is only a small percent of the kids.  Our school graduation ceremonies still have lots of kids looking forward to a good future, so lots of parents are doing their best to teach their kids to become responsible adults.  I give these parents a lot of credit.

Okay, I'll get off my bandbox.  It's eight o'clock and the Mrs will be awake soon.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all have a wonderful day.

Hugs, Edna B.

4 comments:

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

You go girl ... I hear what you're saying and I see kids who are given so much that they are indifferent to working for anything. Sometimes having to work harder and do without builds character. Part of our problem is too many people. We should quit popping out babies when we can't afford to care for them.It doesn't take money to teach morals and values. My father was in school until I was in 5th grade and my mother was our only source of income (back in the day when women got paid nothing ... has that changed?) So we did without and being the second child my clothes were all hand-me-downs except the ones my mother sewed for us. But, my parents were strict yet kind and education was everything. It does pay off in the end. So now that you have stirred me up ... have a nice day Edna :)

Andrea @ From The Sol

aquascrap said...

Love your reindeer car, we have lots of them running around in my city too.

I agree with you regarding children and education but I also think parents should take more interest into what their kids are doing. Far too many parents where both work are too pre-occupied to worry about what their kids are up to.

I know of one where a friends' daughter finally got called into the school and was quizzed about why her 8 year old wasn't doing any homework. Turns out the homework papers were being screwed up and thrown under the mattress. There would be hundreds more cases like this.

I suppose I was one of the lucky ones where I didn't go to work when raising my son, not that we couldn't have done with the extra money, but I didn't want a "latch key child".

Child care in this country is very expensive, even though it is government subsidised, and so many kids are at home before and after school. While the parents are not home they don't want them outside playing and running around instead they sit inside watching TV, on the computer or playing video games.

A recent report shows that our state has the highest obesity rate between 2 - 16 years olds in Australia.

Sadly I haven't got the answers and it appears no-one else does either.
Anyway Edna have an enjoyable day and hope the sun puts in an appearance for you.

Judy xx

The Queen Jester said...

There was an interview on TV the other day where a woman was talking about all the things they have had to cut back on due to the lack of money in their household. She did (begrudgingly) admit that they were closer as a family and they played games together at night because they couldn't afford to go out. Like that's a bad thing? I fear that if the job market picks up again for this family it will mean things will go back to the way things were, with everyone doing their own thing and distant from one another. Sometimes not being able to have everything you want is not such a bad thing. Wow, now you got me on the soapbox too!

smiekeltje said...

Oh, I love your "Rudolp"car!
And it's not a lower or bigger income that is due to "problem"children.
Much depend on the parents and that the time they can spend with their children is well spent.
As kid you hate it when your parents are rather stricked and sometimes in your eyes too severe. But it was compensated with lots of love and laughter. And in the end it pays off.
And yes, we as kids did our share of naughty things, as all kids do. But it never went into the extreme.
Oh well, we are the "old "generation LOL!
Will go soon finishing the decoratin(we both spent all afternoon yesterday, pooped out a bit after it ) but... aftrer today all should be done. Yeah.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Hugs
Kyra