Thursday, November 30, 2017

Farewell To A Beautiful November

November 30, 2017

Good morning.  It's cold out, only in the low thirties at the moment, but the sun is shining.  Have you noticed yet that today is the last day of November?  There are only thirty one more days left in this year.  Wow, talk about the time flying by so fast!!

Yesterday, I asked the mailman when would be a good day to give him all my Christmas cards, and he said Friday would be good.  So, tomorrow they all get sent out.  As for the wrapping part, I am still procrastinating.  For some reason I just don't like doing it anymore.  Well, I've dug out my big girl panties and today is wrapping day!!

Today I thought I'd pass on some information that I learned last night.  I watch the Jewelry TV channel a lot because I learn so much about the actual gemstones and their history (as well as being tempted now and then to buy something). 

Did you know that Peridot is the only crystalline gemstone that is found on another planet?  Believe it or not, Peridot is also found on Mars.  Peridot has always been associated with light.  In fact, the Egyptians called it the "gem of the sun."  Some believed it protected its owner from "terrors of the night," especially when it was set in gold.  Others strung the gems on donkey hair and tied them around their left arms to ward off evil spirits.

The word Peridot comes from the Arabic "faridat" which means "gem."  Most Peridot formed deep inside the earth and was delivered to the surface by volcanoes.  Some also came to earth in meteorites, but this extraterrestrial Peridot is extremely rare, and not likely to be seen in a retail jewelry store.

Some historians believe that Cleopatra's famous emerald collection might actually have been peridot.  People in medieval times continued to confuse Peridot with emerald.  For centuries, people believed the fabulous 200 carat gems adoring the shrine of the Three Holy Kings in Germany's Cologne Cathedral were emeralds.  They are, in fact, Peridots.  (all historic info from web)

Here are a few photos of Peridot that I downloaded from Google.  It truly is a beautiful gemstone.  If you are an August baby, this is your birthstone.

Author, Ashley Clarke

Author, Suzy Landa

Author, Houseki-no-kuni.wikia.com
 
I have always been fascinated with rocks.  When I was a little girl, I used to find lots of "special" rocks on the ground and bring them home.  Back then, it was quite common to find lots of quartz and a few other gemstones just lying around on the ground.  Not so anymore.  Of course, there was a huge quarry not too far from where we lived.  So that may have been the reason why I was able to find so many pretty stones.
 
DIL Janet could not come by last night because she has caught a nasty cold and did not want to bring it here.  Here's hoping she gets well really quick.  I had already told Pogo that I would order Chinese food for our supper and now I just could not disappoint him. 
 
So, I made the phone call, and you should have seen the excitement on Pogo's little face when the man showed up at the porch with a big bag of Chinese food.  We always order the same stuff, Pork Fried Rice, Pork Lo Mein, and an Egg Roll.  I put the rice and lo mein on Pogo's plate, cut it all up nice and small, and gave it to him.  It did not take long before his plate was licked clean!
 
Guess what we had for breakfast this morning.  Yup, left overs!  Actually, I have another meal of it in the refrigerator.  I'll save it for supper tonight, and yes, I'll be sharing it with my favorite little guy.
 
Well that's my news for this morning.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all have a fantabulous day.
 
Hugs, Edna B.

2 comments:

gypsyrose said...

yes this year has flown by, It was interesting to read about the Peridot thanks for sharing the info.
Never really had any stones although my daughter had a nice collection when she was younger dont know if she still has them only stones I have are on my engagment ring.

Unknown said...

Hello Miss Edna and Master Pogo,
I really loved the information on the Peridot. I had read it before but just love refreshing my memory. I didn't know that it came from out of this world tho. Very interesting!!!

I have to get my gifts wrapped too. It is that time of the year. I should go ahead and clean the bar off and decorate for the holidays. As much as I would love another Living Christmas tree I will refrain. My last one just did not make it and it hurt to see it dying. I will get another Christmas Cactus tho. My girlfriend has one of yellow. I have never seen a yellow Christmas Cactus.

I am so glad our little guy enjoys his Chinese food. Ohhh it sounds so yummy!
I am off to read your next post. Hugs, xoxo Beth