Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The South Is Snowed In

January 29, 2014

Good afternoon.  I'd have been posting during morning hours, but for some reason I was not able to get any on-line sites to open.  However, after a while, things got back to normal.  Maybe it was a maintenance glitch?  Who knows. 

Gosh, are you living in the warm sunny South?  I mean cold, icy and covered with snow South?  I feel sorry about all those folks who were left stranded on the highways in automobiles that could not move.  But who in their right mind leaves the house and drives their car out there when they know the roads are covered with snow and ice? 

This is not normal weather for these southern folks, and they don't know how to handle it.  With just a few brains, these folks should have called out of work and stayed home, and kept their kids at home too.  State officials should have asked business to shut down and told people to stay at home.  Everyone knew way ahead of time that the snow and ice was coming, yet roads were not treated.  Some folks just do not listen.

Here's a photo that daughter Audrey posted this morning.  It's the view from her front porch.  Folks, this is southern Virginia where a few inches of snow just about shuts everything down.  According to the weatherman, they got about a foot of snow.  I will have to call her in a bit to see how things are.


We only got a dusting.  I'm surprised because usually when they forecast a dusting for us, we get substantial inches.  Today though, it was just a dusting.



As for my car, yesterday it started right up, and after letting it run for a few minutes, I drove it around the yard a bit.  One suggestion that has been made is to have someone go out and start it every day for me.  That could be a great idea, except that if a jacket sleeve or hand ever so slightly touches any of the controls to the left of the steering wheel, something will be turned on and it will guarantee that the battery will go dead.

I did not realize how temperamental this little blue car was when I purchased it, and I am constantly learning new things about it.  Sad to say, I think it is probably just a fair weather baby.

A large box arrived with the mail today, and it's time for me to finish up here so that I can go open that box.  Pogo has given it a good sniff and decided that we'll keep it.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all stay warm and have a fabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B.

6 comments:

Nani said...

Unfortunately the folks in the south probably had no idea how bad it really was to call-in. I had a date with a local guy one time when I was in Atlanta alone and we talked about snow. He said they get a half inch every few years and there’s panic, so I can imagine wheat 4 inches falling after they all got to work/school was like! A friend of mine, originally from Michigan, who is a teacher in metro Atlanta was on the road home over four hours yesterday when they closed school, and everything else, early.

If I’d actually moved to Atlanta back in the 90s-early 00s like I wanted to, I’d be fit for an asylum today after having run from the ice and snow in the winter! LOL

Bet you’ve never had a day when Audrey got more snow than you before!

Now see, you need the spring for your car! I’m sorry that it’s misbehaving, when it wants to, for you!

Stay safe and warm!
Hugs, Nani


The Queen Jester said...

I'm very glad we are far south where it's not cold and snowy. Today it's raining and in the sixties, but that seems to be about the worst it gets, and I can live with this.

Debby said...

I liked how al Roker said that Atlanta knew that the weather was coming. Do they not have "any" salt trucks. I feel sorry for the people that had to go through all of that.
We had -22 here last night. I had a stomach virus so I could have cared less. Getting better but hate it when this happens.
Stay warm.
Your crazy blue car. Good thing it's cute.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Nani is right ... the world ends when snow hits the south, even a dusting. People don't know how to drive in it, they don't have equipment to clear it and there is that other issue ... not listening or listening and not hearing ... oh my. Poor babies :)

Glad your car started up for you. It may be a fair weather baby, but it sure did hold it's own in this bad weather. If you send a male dwarf out to start your car, they will notice if they have brushed something ... you know men and their cars. They pay more attention to them than their spouses for the most part.

We are still freezing here and as my luck would have it, our furnace stopped working in the middle of the night on the coldest night of the winter. My son had to come over to get it started again at 2AM. Then this morning we had a gas leak ... probably because the gas line was bumped while my son was working on it and, thankfully, our CO2 alarm went off so no harm done ... of course the fire department had to come out and it was a big deal for awhile. I am operating on less than no sleep (if you include the emotional stress of it all) so I will be cutting this short, going down to eat dinner and then crashing early tonight. Hope all is well with you ... and praying that this winter ends before something serious happens. Be well, my friend ...

Andrea @ From The Sol

smiekeltje said...

Poor folks in the south! It must be a very crazy experience for them.
Glad your car started, and as long as you don't drive for a longer period, solution has to be to drive around the yard for some time, to keep the battery uploaded!
I think Pogo has made the right decision, stay home!
What's in the box????? LOL
Have a warm and nice day!
Hug
Kyra

Mat's Merry Memoirs said...

Good Morning, sorry I have been so remiss in posting this past few days, I have been aiding a friend that has been in and out of the hospital three times in less than 3 weeks. I think we finally have her convinced that she has to eat to get well or have a feeding tube inserted. The radiation has not made her ill, but the C-diff infection has and she was not eating because of nausea, vomiting and diarrhea causing all of her minerals to deplete...we told her we had to treat her like a child and force her to eat...guess she finally understands as she has kept food down and no intestinal mishaps in 2 full days now. I am getting a rest as some of her family has come from Ohio and Alabama to be with her.
Glad you are feeling better, I have been catching snatches of posts on my phone from time to time. What pretty, pretty photos and the pages that Kyra has created for you are really gorgeous.
We missed the ice and snow this time, all of it went south of us (TTL), but we have the awful bone chilling winds and temps in the teens after having a few days of 70's. This yo-yo effect is really crazy this year. We are under wind advisory again this morning, but it has switched from the north and is now out of the south, so with it comes the HIGH FIRE DANGER! Mother Nature is not giving any of us a break here lately!
Hope you stay dry and warm, just cuddle with Pogo and have a good day, after a few more blog visits, I plan to snuggle in with my kitties and just laze around all day! I so need to recharge my batteries! Hugs to you and Pogo! Mat