Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Another Oil Pipeline and Whacky Weather

April 3, 2013

The sun is shining, and it is really pretty outside.  But it is cold!!  32 degrees F.  We will be getting up into the mid 40's later.  By tomorrow, though, it should be getting warmer.  The weather man says we will have mid 50's to 60 for the next week.  I surely hope so.

I've been listening to them talk on TV about the Keystone XL oil pipeline that Canada wants to build across the United States.  There's talk that maybe some of the oil will be for us, but no one will actually commit to saying how much we will actually be getting.  They mostly want to get the oil to our refineries to be treated, and made ready for sale to other countries. 

What is wrong with this whole picture?  We refine our own crude oil and ship most of it to other countries.  Now we will do the same for Canada?  Does any of this make sense?  Supposedly, we are supposed to be working towards being independent of other countries for our oil.  So my little brain wants to know why we are exporting our oil.  And why will we be taking a huge ecological risk to our country by running another pipeline through it that doesn't even belong to our country? 

Amidst all of this talk, I wonder why no one has suggested building water pipelines from one part of our country to other parts so that we can divert flood waters to dry areas in need of water.  I would think that this would be more important and do more good for our country.

Also, this morning on the weather channel, they announced that tornado season has officially started.  Excuse me?  Am I missing something?  I can't remember hardly a day going by this whole past year when there wasn't one or more tornadoes touching down somewhere in this country.    So what exactly does it mean that tornado season starts now?  I did not realize that it had a season anymore.

Another top story this morning was about the softball sized hail stones that fell during the night in Hitchcock, Texas.  That means that the hail stones were about 3 1/2 inches in diameter.  Holy cow!!  It damaged seven of the eleven police cars in that town.  Plus it left broken and shattered windows, plus a lot of other damage, all over town.

I'm thinking that this whacky weather is here to stay.  I think it all has to with the changing climate, and we can thank ourselves for the damage that man has done to the ecological system of our beautiful planet.  Nuff said!  Otherwise I would go off on another rant. 

How about some more birdie photos that I took a few days ago at work.  These little birds were sitting up in a tree, and I was shooting through the patio doors. 




For supper last night, I made salsbury steak, gravy and corn to go with the baked potatoes.  I made one extra potato to use for breakfast this morning.  I'm going to scramble up some eggs and fried potato.  Maybe even toss in some green pepper.  Oh yum yum. 

Thanks for listening to my zany raving.  Till tomorrow, Y'all have a fabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B.

3 comments:

Mat's Merry Memoirs said...

Good Morning! Lovely photos of the birds even through the window. Good eye for photography! Glad your weather is warming a bit. We've have 80's, but not today! Only in the upper 40's, a front came through late yesterday and dumped lots of rain overnight (we so needed it). To be back in 70's by Friday! Crazy weather this year, last year on this date 22 tornados hit this area tossing 18 wheelers in Dallas. Yes, we get large hail here, I kept some that were grapefruit size in the freezer for years when I lived in San Angelo, TX...that's what happens when the HOT air meets with the cold air above us! Does lots of damage when it hits too!
You and Pogo have a great day! Chat more next time! Hugs, Mat

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Rant away my dear, because what you are saying is oh so true. Also that pipeline is going to go through the aquifer that supplies drinking water to three states ... just think what could happen ... or don't. The idea is terrifying. And as far as I can tell none of the oil will be processed for our use and maybe that is a good thing because it is dirty oil and will cost a fortune to process it ... translate into cost of gas:(
I think it is time we "Just Say NO!" to all of these profit mongering corporations that don't give a ... about us or the environment. Where are all the 98% when you need them???

So on to your cute bird pictures. Love them, and love your clouds too. I posted my moon today, so you can take a look. I love picture taking, especially when they turn out. I was frustrated with my Crane pictures ... the whole experience was so beautiful, but my camera wasn't up to the job of capturing it. Not sure what to do about that ... hmmmm.

Your food sounds so good it made me realize I haven't had lunch ... guess I'll go and see what I can scrounge up. Weather here is still cold, even though our days are sunny. And, our lake is still frozen. The migrating water birds are arriving and have no place to feed. I don't know where they are going, but they aren't staying here ... very disappointing and worrisome. Well, I am off ... have to eat something before I pass out. Have a great day, Edna ... and hugs to Pogo.

Andrea @ From The Sol

smiekeltje said...

Oh, don't be disturbed by all the plans for pipelines and other things in your country. Well, it is a good thing we worry and ask questions about the benefit, but most of the time it is still done.
Like in our country. Government keeps on cutting in money in all kind of things that really touch everybody, meaning people will have yet less to spend. Investments to give new life to our economy are hardly made, and if they spend money I have the feeling it is on the wrong things. Okay, there still is a "crisis", it should be solved in one way or the other, but it looks as if government is kicking on cutting back to keep the benefit deficit of the coutry at the damned 3%, that's a holy goal, and it has to be reached at any cost. That means for a great deal it comes from our pocket. Oh, I could go on and go on, but it is not something that makes a person happy, so I better leave it.
But one more word, I think it is better to let go a bit the goal, let it creep up a bit, invest money in economy and jobs, because at the end it will pay itself back. We have a lot of unemployed now, number is still growing and in all ages. I belive at the moment we are over 650.000, and that is a lot for this small country.
Hmmmm, your dinner sounded yummie, hope your breakfast was as good too LOL!
Have a great day
Hug
Kyra