Saturday, April 20, 2013

A Surprise In My Flower Garden

April 20, 2013

Good morning.  I do believe we are in for a bit of rain today.  Yesterday's rain amounted to about a couple of teeny weeny wet specks of mist.  Today we should get a few light downpours, at least this morning.  On this day, many many years ago, my Daddy was born.  Happy Birthday to everyone born on this day.

I'm watching videos of the severe flooding in the Mid West (on TV), and it is just awful.  There's talk of more rain headed their way.  When will all this extreme weather end and get back to normal?  Or is this our new normal?  Food for thought.

I'm not going to re-hash the drama of the recent bombings except to say that I am glad the second suspect has been captured.  Hopefully, life in Boston and the surrounding towns and cities can begin to get back to normal.

Yesterday afternoon I took some new photos of my daffodils, and got a lovely surprise.  Here is the first photo of a group of pretty blooms.


And here's a close up of the second flower.  Is this not special?  The color from the center has run all the way to the edge of the petal.  I don't think I've ever seen this before.


And here is one of the other pretty daffodils growing in with these white ones.  This one has an apricot center.


Last year, my daughter in law, Janet, gave me a pretty Christmas Cactus.  Unfortunately, every time it grew a tiny pink bud, the bud would die and fall off.  However, in the past few weeks, new buds have grown and actually lived.  I showed you a photo of one of the buds a few days ago.  Now look at how beautiful it is.  Wow.  So pretty.


This is the first plant that I have had in a very long time that has actually managed to live and bloom.  Who knows?  If my luck continues with this plant, maybe I'll get another one.

Have you all been to Su's blog yesterday?  She has posted a special for anyone wanting to join up at Digital Whisper.  If you want to learn more about digital art, photography, and Photoshop, this is a great place to join.  Do check it out.  (Yes, I'm a member there too.)

I think now it's time to make a cup of coffee and decide what sort of mischief Pogo and I can get into today.  I'm off work tonight, so we can do whatever we want.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all stay dry and have a great day. 

Hugs, Edna B.

3 comments:

Nani said...

Oh, the weather is just insane! David woke me at. 2:30 this morning because it was snowing like crazy. It's mostly melted again now, but yeesh!

Your daffs look great! I have some of the apricot center ones and they always look so delicate. After my feisty crocuses brightly whisk winter away the daffodils gently breeze in spring; it's a nice transition. The Christmas Cactus blooming is beautiful!

I hope you and Pogo find some fun today!

Hugs, Nani

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Your flowers are beautiful ... I actually have some little irises blooming ... they are Japanese miniatures and very early if you consider the temperature here and the amount of growth shown by my other spring flowers. I took some pictures but haven't downloaded them yet ...

Your spring seems to be going well ... we are, of course, as you mentioned experiencing flooding. Our house is on a bluff so we don't have water up here, but our pier is under water and the people on the other side of the lake are flooded along with everyone in the Chicago area that lives near a river or even a stream or pond. Count your blessings my dear ... it is really bad out here.

I have had a busy week and today spent the day at a raptor program so the body is wanting to call it quits ... the brain threw in the towel hours ago. I just wanted to make sure I stopped by to say hello and make sure you know I am still hanging around. Izzi is ringing her bell and once I go downstairs, I am not planning to come back up ... so you have a good night at work tonight and I will check in tomorrow. Loves to The Pogo :)

Andrea @From The Sol

smiekeltje said...

Your daffodils are gorgeaous!
We don;t have many in bloom at the moment in our garden. Perhaps also a bit due to the fact Jan has been "bulldozering"through it LOL>
The cactus is very pretty too!
Found you two sites which may bewill help to keep your cactus in good health and perhaps even make more of it!!!

http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/gardens-gardening/your-garden/plant-finder/plant-details/kc/b669/schlumbergera-truncata.aspx

http://www.guide-to-houseplants.com/christmas-cactus.html

Have a wonderful day!
Hug
Kyra