Sunday, February 10, 2013

Sunshine, Blue Sky And Cold

February 10, 2013

Good morning.  Woo Hoo!  The snow has stopped and the wind is down to a whisper.  On the other hand, it's cold, cold, cold.  It's good that it's over, but the rain coming tomorrow worries me more.  We were so lucky, considering how worse off lots of other folks are.  We got tons of snow, and as long as it melts slowly, we won't get too much water in the basement.

Folks living closer to the shore also had to deal with the water flooding the streets and for some, it came into their homes.  I heard on the news that one family was using their fireplace for warmth, and a blanket caught fire and the house burned down. 

While us New Englanders have been dealing with Nemo, other folks are having to live with the devastation of tornadoes.  God bless them.  I  don't think I could deal with that.  I can be very strong when I have to be, but that kind of total devastation might just do me in.  I am definitely counting my blessings.

I took a few photos to share.  Our plow guy came in during the night (Fri/Sat) and cleared a lot of the snow from the middle of the parking area.  He came back yesterday mid morning, and cleared as much as he could.  There was just so much snow and it was very heavy.  He was only able to remove about three quarters of the snow, plus we ran out of room to move it to.  We're very thankful for what he was able to do.  This shows the front end of the yard. 


Do you remember the large mounds of snow that were the dwarfs' cars?  Here's what it looks like after being plowed.



Joe shoveled by my door, and made a place to put my car.  Folks, I don't know what I would do without this guy.  He and a couple other of the dwarfs look out for me. 


The next two photos show all the snow along the side of the house, and one of the other dwarfs cleaning off the porch.



In this last photo, you can see Joe (in back on the right side) shoveling more of the snow away to widen my parking area. 


Dee Dee and Eddie lost their electricity on Friday and got it back yesterday mid-afternoon.  Thank goodness for that.  I am leaving the generator set up because the rain that is coming tomorrow may create a lot of ice and power outages. 

Last night I did wrap up and upload the first two parts of the new February collab kit.  It's a pretty one, but you'll have to wait till tomorrow to see it.  Now I need to do a few things here because it's back to work tonight and probably all day tomorrow. 

My friend worked her shift Thursday night, and did my Friday shift.  And she has been snowed in there ever since.  She will be so happy to go home tonight, and that's why I said I would do her day shift tomorrow.  I hope my bosses really appreciate this wonderful gal. 

That's the news for today.  Till tomorrow, Y'all stay safe and have a wonderful day.

Hugs, Edna B.

4 comments:

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

My Goodness you do have a lot of snow ... and a huge parking area and a huge house. No wonder you have dwarfs living with you :) I am so glad that you got by easy, though I feel for those who didn't. It does seem as though Nemo wasn't all it was cracked up to be though ... I seem to remember worse storms on the east coast. Correct me if I am wrong ...

We are getting the rain now that you are destine to get. So far it is just warm and it is melting the snow ever so slowly ... oh goody, now I will be able to see the dog piles my neighbors dogs have been leaving for me. When it was cold they were frozen and buried, but now they will be soft, wet and visable. This is the bane of my existence. I have to clean them up because we use our yard to play with Izzi ... there really nothing worse then slipping on an unexpected pile of ....

On to better things to talk about. My son and granddaughter will be here today ... they went to Wisconsin for the weekend. He has to go to work so I will be driving her home (a four hour drive)so that will take up the rest of my day. I am hoping I will get back early enough to watch some of the Grammy Awards. You and my son could commmiserate. He has to work long hours like you to meet deadlines. I worry about both of you ... that is not healty, though at least you don't have to do it all of the time ... Do I sound a bit crabby today ... Sorry, I didn't think I was feeling crabby, but listen to me ... heavens. Surely I could find something fun to talk about. It will be fun driving home with my granddaughter. She is full of stories and she texts her friends and they send cool pictures back and forth. She will want to take Izzi with, but Izzi doesn't really like riding in cars that much. She would be fine while GD was there, but coming back, Iz would be in the back seat all by herself ... not a good plan. Well, maybe tomorrow, if we get some sunshine, I will be able to speak "happy". All for now before I transfer my crabbies to you. Be well and get what rest you can tonight and tomorrow.

Andrea @ From The Sol

Debby said...

Wow, that is alot of snow. They did a good job removing it. I would think it would take alot of rain and warm weather to make it melt. I hope it doesn't get icy. It is beautiful.
Question....your dwarfs....are you tlking about little people.....aor is this a joke????

Nani said...

First, I;m glad you didn't lose power, well yet anyway! I'm also glad Dee Dee and Eddie weren't without it for too long. You New Englanders definitely are a strong breed; if I woke up and saw that much snow, I think I'd just go back to sleep until spring!

Please be careful on the roads between home and work if rain and ice are coming!

We've seen incredible snow photos from David's brother and a friend of ours in Connecticut. One more inch and my brother-in-law couldn't open his mail box!

I'm checking lots of blogs and I've even been on Facebook a few times in a day; SO not me, checking up on all of my snow-covered loved ones. Now we need to figure out to way to make Mother Nature stop picking on all of you, I won't end up with an ulcer...or a worn out set of prayer beads!

Stay warm, stay dry, stay safe my friend!

Hugs, Nani

smiekeltje said...

You were lucky to not loose power. But what a LOT of snow you have.
And it's a bit tricky that it is still cold but there is rain expected. Hopefully a lot of the snow will be gone, but then still the ground is cold and the rain might freeze on it.
Then you better take out your skates.
Be careful when you go to work and back home.
And lots of appreciation for your dwarfs, taking so good care of you!
Be careful , stay safe.
Hug
Kyra