Friday, February 8, 2013

Hunkering Down And Waiting For Nemo

February 8, 2013

Good morning.  It's 6 a.m. and the storm has not started yet.  However, the governor has already asked that all schools be closed today, and that all vehicles be off the roads by noon.

I've been asked if the name of the storm, "Nemo" is used by all the weather forecasters or just the Weather Channel.  So far, I've only heard the Weather Channel using winter storm names.  The regular news channels have been calling it the Blizzard of 2013. 

We are ready for whatever comes except that in another hour and a half, I need to go to the gas station a few houses up the road and fill up the car's gas tank.  Then we wait.  I just hope we don't lose our power.  Or if we do, I hope it isn't for very long. 

Last night I was looking for some older scrapbooking files and I came across a layout that I made back in February 2008.  This layout was never posted, and the kit that I used was made by Snow Raven.  All through my late teens, 20's and 30's, people always said that I looked like Sophia Loren.  If you're not old enough, she was a famous movie star.  (Today we call them actresses.) 

So one day, I put together a montage of sorts using mine and Sophia's photos.  Keep in mind that back in 2008, I did not know how to edit, sharpen or clean up photos very well using Photoshop.  That took a few more years.  Anyhow, here's the layout.


The weather lady just said that Boston Logan Airport will be closing sometime this afternoon.  Now they are saying we could get two or more feet of snow.  They are expecting 12 to 30 foot waves at the beaches depending on where you're at. 

I have another fun picture to share with you.  I found this on the web but I don't remember where.  If you're a squirrel lover, here's an idea for a feeder area.  Somewhere to sit out of the weather while you enjoy your dinner.


That's about it for this morning.  I need to get dressed and ready to go to the gas station in a little while.  If you don't hear from me one day, it's possible we lost the power.  Otherwise I'll be back, even just to drop a line during the storm.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all stay safe and have a fabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B.

2 comments:

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Do you have a generator? That would be a good thing if you can even get to it when the storm is raging. The news makes Nemo sound pretty scary ... Have you ever had two fee of snow dumped on you. I did in 1968 ... I worked in the city and my company had to put us up for the night in a hotel on the lakeshore ... it was awesome and since I was the only girl in the group, I got the Honeymoon Suite. Now, wouldn't you know ... me in the honeymoon suite all alone while my hubby was stranded 30 miles away in our townhouse ... hmmmmm. The next day I took the train home and the expressways were like ghost parking lots. Cars stranded everywhere. When I got home I had to walk to my townhouse because our car was buried, literally, in the parking lot ... all you could see was a little bit of the top. It was quite an experience, so I recommend that you stay inside and keep warm ... hopefully you will have power and will be able to keep us posted as to how your are faring. I'll be thinking of you ...

We did end up with another 9.5 inches yesterday. My son came over last night and cleared my driveway and the walks all the way in the back so I could get to my feeders this morning. The squirrels aren't even coming out, but the birds have to eat or they won't make it through a cold night like this. I always put out extra on days like this. I had to dig my feeders out and make a big flat area where the ground feeders coudl eat. The little Junco's are ground feeders and though I have seen them go to the feeders, I usually see them searching the ground for the droppings. I put out extra suet as well, because they are a good source of energy for all of the birds. Weather like this is the only time I see the Sparrows, Chickadees and Finch eating the suet ... normally they stick to the seed.

Today I have to clean my Granddaughters room. I use it as my project area when she isn't here, but she is coming tonight. She and her Dad and some friends are going to the Dells to enjoy the indoor water parks and get a wiff of what spring and summer will be like ... they should have a great time. My son has been working so hard and such long hours, I am glad to see him taking some time out for recreation ... he is long overdue.

Well, Edna, be safe. I will be thinking about you and waiting for word from you. When it is safe to go out, think of all of the great pictures you will be able to get ... that's the up side :) Once again, be well, be safe and keep in touch if you can ...

Andrea @ From The Sol

Mat's Merry Memoirs said...

good evening! I was busy today and did not get on my computer until now so am trying to catch up....LOL! Hope you, Pogo and your "dwarfs" all stay safe and cozy with this terrible NEMO that is descending on you! My friend outside Boston is all geared up too! Hope everyone is safe and that you do not lose power, but with that much wind, it is a very likely situation! Will be saying prayers for all of you!
You do favor Sophia a lot in this layout. I think this funny as I just got new glasses and my frames are Sophia Loren's frames that she designs, with bling on them, but I got with the least amount of bling and they are maroon in color....LOL
Love the idea of the little chair for the squirrel feeder, need to see if I can find one of those! Cute mouse for sure, looks so sweet, but I think not in my house full of cats!!
O well, off to visit some more, you stay in and stay safe! Hugs, Mat