Tuesday, February 18, 2014

This Is Definitely Taxachusetts!!

February 18, 2014

Good morning.  It's gray and cold outside, and we're just waiting for the next batch of snow to move in.  I'm just hoping that Mother Nature gets all this snow stuff out of her system before it's time for my flight to leave for Florida.  There's no fun in hanging around an airport for hours and hours with a tiny little dog who hasn't gone potty for several hours and has no potty patch near by. 

I would take him into a ladies' restroom and hold him over a sink, but he wouldn't understand what to do and would probably be scared silly.  I wonder why they don't have small potty patch areas built into each of the departure gates for travelling pets?

Today, I have an appointment at the nail salon, and then back to totaling figures for my taxes.  Groan, groan, I really do hate doing these taxes!!  I will say one positive thing though.  I have learned a lot about my property and I get to see in person how the government socks it to us!

A few days ago, my auto excise tax bill came in.  Wow!  Almost knocked me off my feet!!  It costs a small fortune for the privilege of parking in my own driveway.  My understanding is that this money is for keeping the roads in town in good repair.  I can't vouch for that, but I would think that the town could make more money by taxing the "out of towners" who drive through our town instead of charging us residents so much for having a car.

Enough babble!  I have a really interesting photo to share with you this morning.  While looking out my kitchen window a few days ago, I noticed that the rose tree was covered with little frozen drops of water.  What a pretty sight.


Another pretty item in the little garden just outside the windows was this pink and green metal snail decoration.  With all the snow, only the top of it was still visible.  It's good that I took this photo because we got more snow and now the whole thing is buried under the snow.


Sometime this afternoon, I will start packing my "mailer" box.  This is the box that I mail to myself in Florida.  It needs to be in the mail by the beginning of next week so that it will be there when I get there.  I also need to get all the bills in order and paid so that I can go away with a clear conscience.  Oh my, so much to do, so little time!

Well, that's all my news for today.  Till tomorrow, Y'all stay warm and have a fabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B.

5 comments:

Debby said...

The snow has to stop soon, don't you think. It seems there is some in every forecast.
I never heard of that kind of tax. Wow. We pay about $45 a year to renew our plates and that's it.
Hopefully the tax thing will go okay.

The Queen Jester said...

I think they schedule taxes in the early spring because a person is just starting to feel good again about the weather getting warmer.
It would be unbearable if the deadline were in the middle of February when everything feels so blah.

Mat's Merry Memoirs said...

Hey lovely lady! Thanks for stopping by and leaving such a nice note. I am hoping your weather improves soon and that you have no problems getting to your vacation spot. We have finally gotten some more normal weather, back into the upper 60's and lower 70's all this week. We still have no rain and we need it so desperately. Great photos as usual. Man, if Texas taxed our vehicles to park on our own property...it would have a mutiny on it's hands....we have to have a vehicle cause not enough mass transit and way too far for us fat lazy folk to walk anywhere....ROFL!! I have 2 vehicles so I probably could not afford to eat...LOL....but my property taxes are frozen now that I am over 65, that's a good thing. I got my taxes filed....should have my piddly refund by next week or so...to put in savings for paying those property taxes...never ends does it? but that merry-go-round is a lot more fun than not being around! LMBO!
Have a good rest of the week, will stop by again soon, the Olympics are occupying all my time and I am loving it. Hugs to you and Pogo!
Mat :)

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Our airports all have places outside for the dogs to go ... problem is, when there is two feet of snow on the ground, you can't find it and then if you did, you couldn't get to it. I agree a potty place would be nice, but then who would clean it up and maybe you wouldn't want your dog to go on it not knowing what cooties the other dogs that have gone on it might have. Doesn't seem to be an easy solution. Why don't you start teaching Pogo how to go in the toilet at home (with you holding him over it) then by the time you get to the airport you just have to take him in the booth with you :)

Don't talk to me about taxes ... I am so glad to let my FH do them and he really doesn't seem to mind. He keeps such close track of our expenditures all year that there are no surprises except maybe if we get a refund and that is always a welcome surprise.

Our temperature made it up to 45 degrees today and suddenly there is water everywhere ... hmmmm. I am a little concerned that we will get flooding because there is sooooo much snow and the ground will stay frozen long after the snow melts ... where is the water to go. I'm thinking we will have a lot of flooding when spring gets here. Fortunately we are on a bluff (over 20 feet above the 100 year flood level) so not too worried for ourselves, but many others will be dealing with some painful times. Kind of puts a crimp in my wishing for Spring. But it felt good and Izzi was in 7th Heaven ... reasonably warm and still her snow was on the ground. She was ringing her bell to go out all day long ... crazy little dog. Well, I am hoping all of your Florida preparations get done in time and you will be off and flying in the wind to the warmer part of the country. I assume you will be seeing QJ while you are down there. Make sure she wears her little head video when you go out so she has pictures of all of the fun. Have to admit ... I am envious ... but happy for you just the same. Stay well ...

Andrea @ From the Sol

smiekeltje said...

Oh taxes are spiling our lives LOL! But sometimes I wonder how they invent them all? And the more distressing is, that town taxes can differ from one town to another too!
Pying tax to just park in your OWN driveway, crazy!
And we can do little about it, that's the most wrroying!
Also nice detail is, that the taxes to pay on water, energy, income, property always come around february in the mailbox and up to about may. People just had all the holidays behind them, trying to get back to usual expences, and then KABAM, all those envelopes start coming into yout mailbox!
No wonder it is hard for many people to save a bit of money, it truly is.
Better not to think too much about it, it really spoils the day! LOL.
Yes, I hope all that snow business will be gone before you have to leave for Florida, so that you travel will be smooth and quick!
Till later
Hugs
Kyra