Thursday, February 13, 2014

Storm Pax Is In Our Neighborhood Now

February 13, 2014

Welcome to my little part of snowy New England.  We got a light dusting of snow about an hour an a half ago, and now it seems to have stopped for a while.  Gosh, I hope this is not the calm before the storm!  According to the weather forecast, it is about 28F degrees right now, and we are supposed to be getting snow and rain and more snow.  It could end up being 5-8 inches total of snow before the end of tomorrow.

I went into my archives and dug out some photos that I took one year ago this week.  It shows some of the huge piles of snow that we had all around the driveway.  My driveway is really large, about the size of a small parking lot.  There was too much snow for the plow and no place to put all the snow, but the guy did the best he could.  The second shot is one of our Juncos braving the storm.



I took this next photo through the living room window at work that same week.   As you can see by the large snow piles, they were also running out of places to put all the snow.


Now, about my important meeting yesterday, it was a milestone for me.  I met with a bank lawyer for a closing on my new mortgage.  Early last Fall, I applied for a reverse mortgage.  This is a program for seniors over the age of 64, and was designed to make it easier for them to keep their homes and still be able to live comfortably. 

For years, so many folks have signed up for this, and then abused the program by taking the money and leaving the house behind.  This prompted for the government to make a lot of new laws that made it rather difficult for more seniors to use this program. 

I applied, and was approved last Fall.  However, all these new laws has made it difficult to get through the whole process.  I finally made it through, and yesterday I signed the papers for my new reverse mortgage.  It will take a couple of weeks for all the different bank papers and such to go through, but everything will be settled before the end of the month.

What is a reverse mortgage?  Basically, it's a regular mortgage, but you don't make any payments, and can stay in your home until the day you die.  At that time, the house gets sold and the bank gets paid their money.  I did a lot of research on this, and it seems to be a good program for me.

Last night DIL Janet came for supper and helped me a bit with my tax stuff.  She is just getting over a nasty bout with a virus bug so we had lots to chat about.  She hasn't been able to come by for a couple of weeks and I've really missed her. 

Today I'll spend a little time working on the tax stuff, and then I'm going to play on my laptop for a while.  I need a bit of creative time for my brain.  lol.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all stay warm and have a wonderful day.

Hugs, Edna B.

5 comments:

Mat's Merry Memoirs said...

Good Morning Edna and Pogo! So sorry I have been neglectful....I have been glued to the TV every time and for however long the Olympics have been shown. I so love them. This year has been so exciting and the fact they are warmer than most of the continental US is funny to me. Because of the freezing fog, freezing drizzle, snow and bone chilling winds...this old girl has been inside my house for 7 straight days...nice and warm with the aid of the 4 kitten blanket. I did venture out yesterday to the post office and my box was crammed full, to the grocery store for milk and bread and the ESSENTIALS...CAT FOOD...then to pick up some bird seeds and back home. After all, we hit 50 yesterday, this morning should be our last of below freezing temps for at least a week. Yippee, love that sunshine...but feel so for all those in the southeast and as it comes up the coast line. Praying for all of you!!
I have to go file my taxes this evening, so guess I will finish running the dust bunnies around with the vacuum and get my shower, wash my hair so it will dry and catch the Olympics again at 2...LOL! Have a great day and stay warm and safe, hugs to Pogo as well! Hugs, Mat

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Wow, you are brave. I have heard about the reverse mortgage, but never considered it. I am hoping our kids will take over the house when we are gone, but we will see. I am glad they tightened up the process though. Part of the problems with government programs is that people abuse them, then they get a bad reputation and no one wants to take a chance on them ... or there are some that would prefer to just do away with them, argh! So congratulations, that is quite an accomplishment :)

Our news is making your east coast storm sound pretty scary. I hope you will be okay throughout. I am guessing Joe will have enough snow to be able to use his snow blower when it is over. We are just cold, but actually getting warmer today ... up into the twenties.

I took the birds home yesterday and then my friend and I went over to the Fox River where there were supposed to be eagles. We only saw one, but saw a lot of ducks. Some of the ducks are migratory so I was surprised to see them ... they didn't seem to be bothered by the fact that the water was cold enough to freeze ... it wasn't frozen there because there is a dam and fast moving water. Anyway, I got my exercise for the day blodding through the snow. It was fun. Today, I am taking my daughter down town again for another dentist appointment. I know you are probably wondering will this ever end? Probably not :( She has dry mouth from the meds she has been taking so she will always have tooth and gum issues. They are just trying to stay ahead of it so she doesn't lose all of her teeth. I feel bad for her ... if it isn't one thing it's another. So I have some blog reading to catch up on. Hope you don't get buried in the snow today. Izzi would love your piles of snow, but she is the only one I know of who is enjoying this winter. And sometimes it is too bad for even her to enjoy. Spring, Spring, I beckon you :) Have a safe, warm day, Edna and Izzi says to tell Pogo she is sorry he can't go out to play in the snow ...

Andrea @ From The Sol

Nani said...

Okay, so kinda sorta like winning the lottery, but you save money instead of getting a huge check?? Still, I'm happy for you that all the hoops you have to jump through worked out with the mortgage. :)

I love that picture from work through the paned window from last year! A couple ladies on the bus this morning agreed with me when I said snow was nice for pictures and scrapbook pages and little else!

Batten down the hatches and stay safe (and I hope with power!)
Hugs, Nani

aquascrap said...

Wow Edna I am so happy for you that it worked out and you got your reverse mortgage.

We have a similar scheme here and I think it's a great idea. As you age and your savings dwindle away many older people are "asset rich, money poor" meaning their homes are worth a lot of money but they don't have the finances to maintain them or their day to day expenses. So. if they can get a reverse mortgage it helps to keep them in their own homes (if they are able) which saves them being a drain on the government.

We are currently in a flood watch here. After the extreme high temperatures we have been having, we have now had so much rain (75mm or 3 inches in less than 24 hours)so many houses, roads and shops have been flooded. OMG from one extreme to another!

Well you stay warm while I'll try and stay dry. I do have to go out later, which I'm not looking forward to as I don't like driving in rain.

Hugs
Judy xx

smiekeltje said...

Oh how brave of you Edna to dive into that mortgage thing! I am totally hopeless in those things, so many rules and "small letters"to read and understand( and it's always said, the bak will help you, but do we really believe that?), but I think it could be a great solution. I think, it will set the mind to peace, not having to think all the time about the payments etc.
So you achieved an important thing! Congrats.
Just saw on the news it is still aweful in a large part of the US with the weather!
When will that be gone again?
Nice you had a meeting with Janet again, I am sure you had a lot to chat about.
You are right to take a kind of free day today, after all that tax and mortgage stuff to deal with L:OL!
Have a great day, take care!
Hug
Kyra