Thursday, January 12, 2012

Where, Oh Where, Has My Green Thumb Gone?

January 12, 2012

Well, it's a wee bit wet here in my little part of New England.  I don't think we got any of the snow that was forecast for during the night.  If we did, it all melted and turned to rain.  The temperature seems to have warmed up a bit too.  All in all, I can't complain.  Somehow, we do have to get enough precipitation to keep the reservoirs filled.

I want to thank everyone for their advice on how to rescue my miserable little plant.  After reading your suggestions, I rummaged through the trash barrel and dug out the bag that held the broken bits of plant.  I filled two small plastic bowls with soil, and planted six of healthiest pieces of cactus.  If they grow, I'll put them into bigger pots.


During my fly killing rampage yesterday, I also almost destroyed my aloe plant.  My sister in law gave it to me four years ago, and said that it was real easy to grow.  The little plant was about three inches tall.  For some reason, it did not like it here because it never grew any bigger.  After scooping it out of the dirt on the floor yesterday, I tucked it back into a pot filled with soil.  After all these years, my little plant is now almost two inches tall.  Are plants supposed to shrink?

When I was younger, I had a lovely green thumb.  My home was always overflowing with luscious green plants.  My yard was filled with roses, pansies and petunias all summer long.  But then one day, my green thumb turned brown and my plants started dying off.  Now, I have help from one of the dwarfs with my outdoor gardens.  He loves to garden, and I love to enjoy watching the gardens grow.  It works out pretty good.

Tootsie and I are having a very lazy day today.  We stayed in bed late this morning watching TV and reading a book.  In a little while, after I put the laundry into the dryer, I think I'll make some rice and hamburg with a smidgeon of cheese in it.  This is one of Tootsie's favorites, and I have to admit, I like it too.  Sometimes I mix some peas or green beans with it.  This way, Tootsie gets some veggies in her diet.

There is a gray squirrel outside my window looking for birdseed that isn't there.  His crazy antics outside the window are beginning to annoy Tootsie.  I don't fill that little feeder any more because I'm trying to discourage the squirrels from coming up to the window. 

Well, thats about it for this morning.   Till tomorrow, Y'all have a fabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B.

4 comments:

Nani said...

If the squirrels annoy Tootsie, than I won't speak ill of you urging them farther off. If they scared the kitties, and cats are really scaredy cats, I'd try to urge them back too!

I can't tell you about plants shrinking. Usually if I have a shrinking plant it's because a cat is eating it! I mostly stick to the baby rubber tree plants because they are SO easy to care for. If you neglect to water them for a 2-week vacation, they might look ever so slightly sad when you get home, but perk back up in an hour after a drink. My kind of plant - it defies me to harm it!

About my photo yesterday, I'll be sure to tell Dave that you said he is handsome and thought he was my brother! That Dave is Kelly's Dad! (I could tell you my brother looks MUCH older! LOL)

Here's to rain and dodging snow...which it doesn't look like we'll do in Toledo this evening.

Hugs, Nani

The Queen Jester said...

Just be patient with the plant, it may pull through yet. I find neglect is often the best healer but it's hard to watch when they look so sad.

Kelly said...

Hi Miss Edna!! I'm Kelly, Nani's friend! She suggested your blog to me and I really enjoy your photos!! I'm new to the blogging scene and still learning my way around but I'm really glad to meet you!

smiekeltje said...

Just be patient with your sad looking plant. Don;t water it too much, and I am sure, it starts growing again!
Perhaps a bit talking to it might even help, telling it it's such a brave plant for holding through LOL
Have a great weekend
Hugs
Kyra