Saturday, January 28, 2012

A Gorgeous New Bird!!!

January 28, 2012

Good morning.  The sun is shining and it's quite nice outside.  Now if I could only get rid of this cold, this would be a super day.  I have been trying for a few days now to ward off an oncoming cold.  But I'm losing the battle.  Last night and this morning have been consumed by this nasty cold.  I do have the coughing under control, so that part is good. 

I will try to get out later today and breathe in a lot of fresh air.  That should either help me or do me in some more.  We'll see.  I would like to take a ride to the park to see if a special bird is still there.  Folks, the other day when I was at the park taking photos, there was a bird that caught my eye.  It was gorgeous, and quite different than any I had seen before. 

I took lots of photos of this special bird, and when I got home I searched through all my bird books to identify it, but I could not.  I sent a few shots to my friend Mary Ann to see if she could help, but she did not know what it was either.  Next, I sent an email with a couple of photos to the Wildlife Information Line to see if they could identify it.  First I will post a few photos of this beautiful bird, then I will post the reply from a member of the Wildlife Information Line.







Here is the reply from the Wildlife Information Line:

"Hi, it isn't surprising that you couldn't identify it.  It is a Muscovy Duck, but a domestic version.  Muscovies only occur in the wild south of Texas, and a wild version wouldn't look like this.  They have been bred for special features like the red bill, and are highly variable.  This guy originated in a farmyard or waterfowl collection.  Sincerely,"

Is this not wonderful?  No wonder I could not find this gorgeous bird in my bird books!  (excuse me, Duck!)  Wow, last year we had a Commorant, and this year a Muscovy Duck.  I wonder what will be next?

Now I think I had best feed my little Tootsie.  She's been quite patient, waiting for me to finish posting here, and every now and then she gives me a little sigh.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all have a fantabulous day. 

Hugs, Edna B.

2 comments:

Nani said...

Oh my, that is a beautiful duck! Edna, you find some of the most interesting birds in your photo adventures!

A thought on the cold, my Dad always made "apples and wine" when we had colds. Essentially a mulled wine with the alcohol burned off made with apple chunks in it. SO tasty, but it does a great job of "seating out he cold." I think the most active ingredient is cloves, so a mulled wine being sure to use cloves helps to move the cold along but it's also a treat.

Whatever works, I hope the cold is gone soon!

Hugs, Nani

The Queen Jester said...

Thanks for the research. We've always called them chicken ducks. We made the decision to sell our house and buy a larger rig and live full time on the road. We Skyped the kids the other day and told them, so it's official. It will be a busy year for us as we prepare for the next phase of our life.