Monday, July 22, 2013

"Operation Smile"

July 22, 2013

Good morning.  Well, I'm back at work again.  There was a death in my friend's family, so I am covering for her today, tomorrow night and Thursday night.  Today, I had to bring Pogo with me.  Of course, he is not complaining.  In fact, he's quite happy to be here with me. 

Like the rest of the world, I have the news station on to hear any news about the royal baby's birth.  It's such an exciting day.  Princess Diana would have been so proud.  The newscaster is forecasting that the baby will be a girl, and will be named Victoria.  Hmmmm, we'll just have to wait and see.

Very early this morning, I watched an infomercial on TV about "Operation Smile".  It's a group of volunteer doctors and other medical personnel who volunteer their time and expertise to help children around the globe who are born with cleft lip and/or cleft palate. 

The cost for these operations is $240 per child, and the key words are "around the globe".  I think this is a wonderful thing for these medical people to be doing.  However, isn't our country part of this globe too?  And how come this country is not listed on their Medical Mission Schedule?  (Their schedule lists Central America, South America, Africa, Asia and the Middle East.)   Aren't there children born in this country with this same medical problem?  And how come our children can't have the same medical care for the same $240 per child?

If our children could have this same medical care for this same price, I'll bet that most folks would gladly give enough money to  help them all.  If we all could give the $240, there would be no sick children left in our country.  Alas, this will never happen because this same care is only afforded to our children at astronomical costs, which of course, most of us cannot afford.  Sad, sad, sad.

It was nice and cool earlier this morning, but now it is getting warmer and muggier.  Pogo doesn't seem to care though.  I just took him outside for a little bit, and he is itching to get back outside again.  Well, he will have to wait a while. 

I did not have a chance to work on an orange photo for today, but I do have a couple of nice ones to share with you.  This first is one of my roses, and the second one is part of a new fairy village in my yard. 



The Royal Baby has not been born yet, and I must get back to work here.  The Mrs will be wanting her lunch soon.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all be safe and have a wonderful day.

Hugs, Edna B.

4 comments:

Debby said...

I have always admired Operation Smile. It is one group I would love to be able to donate to. But you know, I never thought about them not helping in the US. You remember Octo Mom. So many are so critical of her. I have noticed that one of her little ones has a cleftie. I am wondering why it wasn't corrected. It isn't that little one's fault about how he was born. Wondering why now for sure.......

The Queen Jester said...

What a lovely rose. I want to learn more about your fairy village and what you have planted there.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

You make a good point, my friend. We are always spending money in other countries and now days, we aren't allowed to spend anything here ... austerity is the word I think they use. I just heard someone talking about Detroit and that they are going to tare it down ... and then allow private companies to have at it ... you know they will build places for the rich and the workers and the poor people who are being displaced will have nothing. Funny how we can rebuild in Iraq and Afghanistan, but not in our own country ... something sure is screwed up. But don't get me started ... you don't want to here what I have to say and I don't want to talk politics because it makes me angry ...

So, back to my happy little blogging world ... sorry you have to work, but I think you are awesome to help out a friend. They will be there when you need them as well. It's nice to work with good people ...

We are back to the hot and stickies ... I really should have cut my grass today, but it was so humid and I let the mildly cool morning get away from me. I will have to do it early tomorrow for sure ... I wish I could avoid it all together, but we both know that isn't going to happen.

So here it is six-thirty in the evening and I can't even tell you where this day went. Is that an "old" thing or am I just losing it. Oh boy ... well, best go down and cook some dinner before everyone passes out from hunger ...
Be well, my friend ...

Andrea @ From The Sol

smiekeltje said...

Unexpected working days for you, but so wonderfu of you to cover for your friend for this sad occasion.
To have Pogo with you is a happy thing, isn;t it?
You will need a coupl e of beauty sleeps this week, with all those working nights. But one thing is certain: better to working hours at night, when it is a bit cooler and taking a "siesta"when temps are too hight.
Have a great day.
Hug
Kyra