Wednesday, June 26, 2013

TV Isn't Always Entertaining Anymore

June 26, 2013

Good morning.  The day is starting off pretty nice here, but I guess we will be having clouds and rain on and off a good part of the day.  We shall see.   The weather forecast calls for thunderstorms for the next seven days in a row. 

Well, sleep was not coming so easily Monday night, and it was daylight Tuesday morning before I finally fell asleep.  I got up around 11 a.m. when SIL Eddie came by.  By the time I was able to sit at the computer and type  post, it was almost mid afternoon.  So I decided to take the day off.

I don't know if it was my laptop going crazy or if the internet was having a nervous breakdown, but I was not able to connect with most blogs and websites starting early Monday evening.  Even my emails had to wait until Tuesday afternoon before I could open them. 

Are any of you out there fans of one of TV's newer shows "Honey Boo Boo"?  If so, I want to apologize to you for offending you, but I think this is one of the most disgusting shows on TV.  When did watching an obese, ill-mannered child with really bad behavior, and doing rude, disgusting things on national TV become a form of family entertainment?

I am so very unimpressed with most of the entertainment fare that is offered on television.  There is so much violence, sex and stupidity in most of the programming.  Is it any wonder that I watch the Weather Channel and Build A Word?   There were a few programs offering  fashion design that I enjoyed, but they haven't been on the air for a while.

In all fairness, I will say that I am so thankful for all the re-runs of Law & Order and NCIS, and the cooking competition shows such as Chopped and The Worst Cooks In America.  This year, I have also been enjoying America's Got Talent. 

The upside of all this bad programming is that maybe I will spend more time listening to my music collection, and less time watching the boob tube.   Who knows, I may even have to get better acquainted with my vacuum to keep myself entertained.   Oh Lordy, I was hoping that day might never come.  Groan, groan.

Enough of my babbling.  I have some photos to share that I took of the water lilies at our local park.  I think they are just soooo pretty.




Now I really must get busy here, and put some clothes on.  SIL Eddie will be coming by soon to take me shopping.   We will probably start at Grossman's Outlet Store.  They have some really good buys on building and home improvement supplies.   This afternoon, Pogo has an appointment with the doctor.  There is a spot on his back that needs to be checked, and he may need a new rabies shot too.  I will have to check on that.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all be safe and have a wonderful day. 

Hugs, Edna B.

4 comments:

Mat's Merry Memoirs said...

Good Morning! What beautiful water lily pads! Nice shots you have! Hope all goes well with Pogo at the vet!
Sorry you have so much rain, wish we could get it more often around here. The water restrictions are getting tougher and tougher! It is so HOT here already, but they are predicting MAYBE a shower on the morning of the 4th!
Have a blessed day and I will chat more with you next time.
Hugs to both of you! Mat :)

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Ah the Boob tube ... you are so right. I don't know if I have lost my sense of humor or if everyone else has gone a little nutsy. My Hubby and I find that every time we find something relatively intelligent we really like, it gets discontinued and the programs that are just plain stupid go on and on. Oh my. I'm not big on violence but I do like a good mystery or drama program now and then. I like to watch Public TV too because they have some interesting talk shows. Then, of course, there are the science programs. That is what we watch most of the time because there is so much going on in science and I learn about things I never could have imagined. So much for that ... I much prefer going out, like you, and taking pictures of nature. Love the Water Lilies ... they are just gorgeous.
We have had rain every morning and in the afternoon it is hot and muggy. But, it is the grass cutting dilema again ... can't cut the grass when it is raining and it is wet all day. Now it is long ... do I use the bag or just let the grass sit on the surface ... ugh. Nothing is ever easy. Well, I hope everything is okay with Pogo ... you will let us know,right? Izzi says good luck going to the Vet place ... not her favorite hang out:) You seem to be back on my dashboard, but you are still not on my blogger list. But, that is okay, as long as I can still get to you. Have a wonderful day ...

Andrea @ From The Sol

The Queen Jester said...

What lovely waterlilies - I especially like the close up one.
I've never heard of Honey Boo Boo but I don't think I want to ever see it. There's too much glorification of children acting like brats and ruling the household. Try to balance out this with watching Super Nanny - I've learned many good things on that show to help with the grandkids. I've also picked up some tips watching the Dog Whisperer but then to me training younger kids and dogs are pretty much the same. Positive reinforcement and treats.

Debby said...

Hope Sweet Pogo is okay. You are so right about TV. The reality TV stinks. I have seen that show. We will watch about 5 minutes and then shut it off because I begin to feel so bad for the mother as she isn't very smart. I wonder if she even knows how much fun people have laughing at her.
I watch a lot of HGTV. Great ideas or just listening to normal people.