Monday, December 1, 2014

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AUDREY

December 1, 2014

Good morning.   On this day, many moons ago, this old gal became a young mother for the first time.  Yup, my first child was born, and I joined that very elite group known as "Moms".  And although raising our children is the most important thing we will do during our "growing up" years, it is the one job we are never really trained for. 

We stumble along through the years, making mistakes and celebrating big successes.  Yet somehow when the last child reaches adulthood, we can sit back and enjoy the happiness that comes from seeing the wonderful adults that our children have become.  Well, that's my thought anyway.

Today is my daughter Audrey's birthday.  I've been telling her for years how I went to a rummage sale many years ago, and bought a bagful of goodies for only one dollar.  When I got home and emptied the bag, I found her in the bottom of it.  Wowee!  That was the best darn dollar I ever spent!  (Please don't tell her otherwise, because she still believes this story!)

Here is Audrey as a toddler, and as the beautiful and talented woman that she is today.  Happy Birthday Audrey.  I'm wishing you a day filled with love and happiness, and for many more years to come.  I love you.



Speaking of December, here is the last page on this year's calendar.  Amazing, but in thirty more days, we'll be singing Auld Lang Syne and welcoming in a brand new year.


Well, yesterday turned out to be quite busy.  In between doing loads of laundry, I decided to finish off the kitty house that I had started to make for Blackie.  He doesn't need it right now, but one never knows when another cold and hungry kitty might show up at our door. 

I started with a large plastic tote.  I marked where the entrance door should be and Joe cut it out. Daughter Deanne brought me over a styrofoam cooler to use inside the tote for insulation.    Joe cut a matching door in the cooler, and I placed it inside the tote.  I stuffed insulation in the space between the cooler and the tote, and then placed the cover on the tote to seal it closed.  (The tote was used upside down.)

Dwarf Helen helped me to cover the whole house with a weatherproof air conditioner cover.  We used plenty of black Duck Tape to make sure everything stayed put and could not come apart.  Then she cut a flap in the cover over the kitty door, and I put one of Pogo's little blankets inside.  It may not be the most beautiful little house, but it should definitely be warm.  Joe says he will make a platform for the house to sit on so that it's bottom will be up off the wet ground.



Gosh, I'm looking at these photos of the kitty house, and it sure does look funny.  It really did look pretty good before we attempted to make the plastic cover fit over the outside, but the bottom line is that it is warm and weather proof, and is now out on the front porch.

Last night, I took a break from working on the afghans, and started another scarf.  I'm not sure who they are for but they are a nice break from working on the bigger projects.  I'll probably just fill up a bag with them, and then give them out to people who need them.

Well, that's my news for this morning.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all have a fantabulous day. 

Hugs, Edna B.

3 comments:

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Well, we have met Audrey before and know what a wonderful daughter she is to you ... Happy Birthday, Audrey and wish you many more.

OMG, your "cat house" is amazing. What a great job you did ... and what makes you think that if a stray cat comes by that you won't bring him/her in the house. You will end up being the crazy cat lady like the rest of us. I know at some point you can't keep bringing them in, but what my neighbor and I do is feed and water them until we can find a home for them. We also take them to the Vet and get them checked out and fixed. Our Vet is very generous about giving us that service for a minimal price. Did you ever get a heated water dish for outside? You are so funny, you just can't resist being a good person ... that's what I love about you :)

Well, yes, it is December 1 and I am now in panic mode. I have my cards at the printers and a few Christmas presents bought and that's it. The clock is ticking and I am actually looking forward to New Years because that means all of the hubbub of Christmas will be over and I will have survived it ... or not :( I used to love Christmas when there were kids around, but now not even my son will be here. Just the three of us to celebrate alone. The good thing about that is that I don't have to worry too much about the dust bunnies ... they may get a holiday reprieve this year. So, so much for my babbling on ... I really should go and start to make lists and do something productive, right? Later Enda ... I am off and running :)Loves to Pogo, Sunshine and Blacke ...

Andrea @ From The Sol

The Queen Jester said...

The cat house looks warm and inviting and I'm sure any cold animal would be happy to find it.

smiekeltje said...

Belated Happy Birthday to Audrey!
Your cathouse might not get a prize for the most beautiful design but it really looks good and warm, and that is the important thing!
Lovely idea from you.
Hada quite nervous day yesterday but all ended well. Going to post now a day late on my blog, so you can read all about it.
Have a wonderful day my dear.
Hugs
Kyra