Monday, May 1, 2017

Happy May Day!!

May 1, 2017

Good morning.  Tis a bit on the gray side this morning, but maybe the sun will come out later this afternoon.  Happy May Day everybody!  Sad to say, we don't celebrate this the way we used to, but I have my memories from childhood.

May Day has a long and notable history as one of the world's principal festivals.  It's origin dates back to before the birth of Christ.  For the Druids of the British Isles, May 1 was the second most important holiday of the year.  For the Romans, it was devoted primarily to the worship of Flora, the goddess of flowers.

May day observance was discouraged during the Puritans' time, and relived when the Puritans lost power in England.  It now came to be regarded more as a day of joy and merriment for the kids, rather than a day of observing the ancient fertility rights.  Traditionally, the celebration included dancing and singing around a maypole that was tied with colorful streamers or ribbons.  A May queen would be chosen, and May baskets would be hung on folks' doorknobs.  (info gathered from web)

In my childhood years, we did still celebrate May Day.  It was a joyful day, and I remember the beautiful flower baskets we used to make and deliver to our neighbors and residents of a local nursing home.  So tell me, why do we not still celebrate this beautiful day??? 

Here is the May page from my calendar.


I have photos from my walk around the yard a couple of days ago.  There are different colored tulips, and oh my, how beautiful my Blossoming Cherry tree is this year! 





Now for my awesome news!!  I did it!!!  Daughter Deanne took me shopping yesterday.  With her help and my handy walker, I made it all through the store and back home without a problem.  It wore me out and made me tired, but oh wow, it felt good. 

First we went to the gardening department (Walmart) and got a lot of large pots and another big bag of potting soil.  Then on to the pet department where I stocked up on bird seed.  Next, we made our way to the yarn department so that I could get some new yarn for a baby blanket.  I'll take photos of the yarn to share here tomorrow. 

Lastly, we did the grocery shopping and then headed back home.  Joe was home so he helped Deanne bring everything in from the car.  What a great day, surrounded by awesome folks and a fun day out.  While we were out, I even bought a basket to put on my walker.  Pogo can sit in it when we go shopping at JoAnn's Fabric store (and other places!).  I can hang a tote bag from the handle to put my purchases in, so I'm all set to go.

Today I'm a bit tired, but it's a nice tired, so I think I'll work on the baby blanket today.  Now it's time to see what's for lunch.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all have an awesome day.

Hugs, Edna B.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Edna, so glad you were able to get out, Makes you feel lots better being able to get out and about. Love your Tulips beautiful.
Hugs Elee

Unknown said...

Hi Edna,
I am so glad that you had a great day getting out and shopping. I know that you have been housebound since March so it really is about time that you could get out and go some place even if it was just to Walmart. I understand. My outing the other night did me a world of good.

I am past exhausted. This tossing and turning is horrible. I listened to music but it didn't help, neither did the warm shower, the cup of tea, the book that I am trying to read. I got up to go to the bathroom at 4:50am and Cisco decided to cuddle. I eventually fell to sleep for about 45 minutes. I am not sure what woke me up but I decided to just get up but I feel like I can rest some soon.

Your tulips are gorgeous and wow I would love to see your beautiful flowering tree. I am so glad that you got the pots and soil. You will be able to enjoy the porch even more. Pogo will to. He will be happy just to be outdoors with you.

Now I am excited about seeing the new yarn that you got for the baby blanket. A little boy, what a sweet time for your family. I am going to go and cuddle with my boy. He is ready too.

Oh sad to say that Chicki has lost a foot and a squeaker! We have made a discovery. When he gets mad at us for leaving him alone, he takes his aggression out on his toys.... It is good therapy for him so that he is not bored. He does it s l o w l y..... so a nibble here and there. LOL.. Talk to you soon. Cisco sends woofs and kisses and I send hugs and love to both of you. Beth, Cisco and the Gang.

smiekeltje said...

What a great news that you actually made the shopping trip with Deanne and visited all the needed departments! Of course you feel a bit tired today but never mind, just take an easy day and then tomorrow perhaps again a little walk around the garden and some minor jobs and so on.
Your tulips have wonderful colors and yes, the blossoms of a cherry tree always are lovely, such a pity those blossoms stay on it only for a short time.
I bet Pogo was extatic to go out with you and Deanne.
Sending hugs to you.
Kyra