Tuesday, October 4, 2016

A Little Stroll Down Memory Lane

October 4, 2016

Good morning.  Mother Nature is being nice to us today.  The sun is shining, there's a teeny tiny breeze and the temperature is 60F degrees.  A really nice Autumn day.  I've been up a while, but somehow I've found things to do to keep me busy and away from my laptop. 

Pogo and I were hoping to visit with Aunt Lucy yesterday, but she had plans so we're going to try to go tomorrow.  We're also going to look into seeing if  The Ride will bring her here and pick her up and take her home.  Today Lucy is going to find out what it would cost. 

For the past forty years or more, I've had this phobia of sorts about driving into Boston.  I don't like it, and If I can't get out of it, I usually don't go.  However, SIL Eddie is back to work and Kevin is back at college, so there's no one to drive me to Boston now.  Either I find the nerve to drive myself to Aunt Lucy's house, or come up with another solution.

Last night, I put two more rows on the afghan, so now I'm just past the half done mark.  For some reason, my hands just don't want to be making another afghan.  I would rather be working on a new project.  Red Heart yarns has come out with some new colors and I'm just itching to buy some.   However, I do think I should use up some of my yarn stash first before buying any more yarn.

One of my goals for this year had been to buy a new sewing machine so that I could start sewing again.  Obviously, I did not meet that goal, so now it will be my top goal for the New Year.  I think I may even think about either putting a window in my bedroom next year, or at least having an air conditioner installed permanently in the wall.  I'll have to give that some thought.

Today I have an old photo to share.  This is my high school graduation class.  The Class of Weymouth Senior High School, June 1957.  I have painted a yellow arrow pointing to me.

 
And here's a close-up of the corner where I am.  (I'm on the bottom left corner)
 
 
Gosh, I can't believe that this picture was taken sixty years ago.  (it was taken in the Fall of 1956)  The girl next to me was my best friend.  Ah, when I think of all the fun we had over the years.  Mmmm, such wonderful memories. 

At seventeen, I never gave much thought to the legacy I'd be leaving behind when I left this earth, but I must say that I did a great job in that department.  Here's a photo of a few of my granddaughters and a couple of my great granddaughters.


I grew up in the 40's and 50's, and I must say that it was the best time of all to be a kid growing up.  My neighborhood was mostly old country Italians.  They all had vegetable gardens in the back yard, and made pasta in the basement.  (back then we called the basement the "cellar") 

The neighbor I remember the most is Nonna.  She was an elderly lady (my friend's grandmother) with long white hair which was usually kept in a long braid.  We would sneak into her back yard and pick peaches off her trees, and she would throw string beans at us as she chased us out of her yard.  Nonna had excellent eye sight, so I wonder how come she never saw us sneaking into her backyard?

I think the biggest day that I remember from this neighborhood was in the summer of 1945.  I was five years old and the war (WWII)  had just ended.  Everyone brought out tables to set up in the street, and lots and lots of food.  There were electric cords strung so that we had light (later in the day) and Victrolas were set up on tables so that we had music for dancing.  The partying went on late into the night.  I'm sure that as each of us little ones started fading, our parents carried us home and tucked us into bed, then went back outside to celebrate this glorious day in history.

For those of you who do not know what a Victrola is, it is a record player with a big horn attached for the sound to come out.  You placed the record on the victrola and then turned the crank on the side of the base to make the record spin.  Here's an image I borrowed from Google of the Victrola and an ad from a catalogue.



Enough for my stroll down memory lane.  Time is flying and soon it will be lunch time.  First, I think that Pogo and I will sit out on the porch for a while and enjoy this gorgeous day.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all have a fantabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B.

2 comments:

Mat's Merry Memoirs said...

Hello, no I have not forgotten you nor have I dropped off the face of this earth, but I have been rather busy (lazy) binge watching a little TV, also read a couple of books and then the new seasons have all started and I am enjoying the heck out of just laying around watching something each evening and taping another for the next day...LOL...ain't retirement grand? Love your beautiful roses and your walk down memory lane...plus all your daily e-mails, I've just been remiss in responding. Yep, that's my story and I'm sticking to it...LMBO! Have a terrific week and I'll chat more with you next time. Hugs for you and Pogo! Mat

smiekeltje said...

I think I can understand why you don;t love to drive to Boston, big city, lots of traffic and such. It would be fantastic if the Ride could bring Aunt Lucy at your place.
Memory lane is always nice, and it seems all not as far away in time as it is, but when you get to think about it, gosh, we have aged LOL!
Of course the 50's and 60's weren;t all terrific, but it was a time of change and quick change and somehow I think life was a little bit easier and even more quiet, easy pace somehow. Or is it just and idea?
Today it will be cooler here, with temps of about 13-15C, rather crisp. And nights are becoming real cool too now, so I even turned on the central heating for a moment to get rid of the crisp temperature in the living room, as soon as it more comfy, I can turn the heating down a bit It doesn;t need to be on all day yet, I think.
It looks allright outside, there is sunshine, with a bit of wind.
Have a wonderful day,
Hug
Kyra