Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Wanna Go Out And Play In The Rain?

May 9, 2012

Do you remember when you were little and on a day like this, your mom gave you a little bar of soap and sent you out to play in the rain?  Ummm, maybe I'm dating myself?  As kids we thought this was the greatest thing!  For shame, we don't see this anymore. 

The sad part is that when I  was a kid, we could have ever so much fun and it was all free.  Today's kids can't have any fun until they have amassed a couple thousand dollars worth of tech toys.  It's sad to watch these kids having a melt down because their smart phone ran out of minutes.  Or because their ipod is not the newest version. 

I read in the newspaper the other day how it costs up to $2000 just to go to your prom.  Excuse me, but what is wrong with this picture?  When I was a kid, we decorated the school gym and got a lovely gown (that covered most of our body).  The boy would bring us a corsage, and if he did not have access to a car, we met at the gym.  We had a fabulous time!  Some of the parents hosted overnight parties so that we could party all night.

Our children today don't realize it, but they have been cheated out of a lot of good clean life.  I understand that they have to keep up with all the new technology, but I believe they should have learned math before being allowed to bring their calculators to school.  I think they should have learned how to spell and understand English before getting into phonetics.  I think they should be taught the value of a moral dress code for school.  There is plenty of personal time to get into the sexy movie star and music icon fashions.

Okay, time to get down off my band box.  I'm not sure what got me started, but I'll move on to photos now.  Some of the Mrs' rhododendron buds are opening so I thought I would get a few photos to share.  As you can see, it's still raining here, but aren't these pretty?




Now it's time to give Tootsie her morning meds.  After that, I'll decide whether I should take a nap now or later.  I do have computer things to work on so maybe I'll do that for a while.  Ahhhh, such a difficult decision!  lol.  Till tomorrow, Y'all have a fabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B.

3 comments:

The Queen Jester said...

Well said! There are some amazing young people out there today but it scares me to see so many growing up with no idea of how to entertain themselves or problem solve.

smiekeltje said...

You are right abot the things you said about the youth today. Don't get me wrong, there are still lots of fabulous young ones around, but times have changed and changed people too. There was a little inquiry on tv about cellphones used by the youth. They are almost completely lost if they don;t have their phone with them all the time! And even worse, lots of them check it every one or two minutes, to see if they have a message, or if there is a new tweet, or whatever. Scared to miss anything or be be shut out. That is a sad thing.
And we could spent time in our youth with reading, playing together(fantasy was stimulated by that), or drawing, or anything, that didn;t need a tech toy.
Different time!
I think yojgsters sometimes miss things, or don;t learn things because of the tech toys they are allowed to use already at school. Hmmm, I think I am getting old LOL!
Have a great time
Hugs
Kyra

Nani said...

Sorry I’ve been so scarce this week, but doctors and road trips to see the doctors have owned my butt this week! (That and the pain-reliever-free surgery prep has made me crabby!)

Edna, I don’t wish the rain on you, but you know I love your flora with raindrops photos! I love the picture of you and Bimbo Bear! I agree with you about the product mascots. They are so much fun! We had to have our pictures with both of the Mud Hens mascots at our wedding reception; it was as important a photo of the day as us feeding each other cake!

Going outside to use the phone is not a very smart smartphone! But in the world of “be careful what you wish for” You wanted a smartphone that gets along with “old folks” and having to go outside to use the phone is very old-school cell phone reception!

I love the moon pics! And enhancing the Man in the Moon’s smile for the Mrs is not bad, it’s sweet!

Beautiful shot of the dandelion! I remember those days…I am definitely part responsible for the dandelion groves in some parts of Michigan!! I was already part of a “stay in when it rains” generation, but we did crafts with minimal TV on when it rained. I totally agree with kids needing to learn the basics. Isn’t that what happened with Y2K? We weren’t sure if there’d be fireworks or a complete failure of the power grid because later programmers added to code without understanding what was there to begin with. You have to know the basics before you move ahead. If you don’t know the math or the spelling (or how to use a dictionary), how do you know the calculator or spell check is right? We could share that band box on a nice corner somewhere! LOL

Have a wonderful day, my friend! I should be aback for coffee tomorrow all pain-relievered up and smiley again!! :)

Hugs, Nani