Thursday, February 9, 2012

So Much Fascinating History Around Us

February  9, 2012

It's a beautiful sunny morning here in my little part of New England.  It's 36 degrees and working it's way up to 45.  Sounds good to me!  Tootsie and I have to go out in a little while.  She has an appointment with the doctor for a check up.  We also have to pick up another letter saying that she's okay to travel.  I don't know why we need this.  Last year, no one ever looked at it.

I have an interesting photo to share with you today.  This little building is called a "Bee House" and is very old.  It belonged to the Mrs' husband's grandfather.  Any further back, I'm not sure of.  But this would put it's age around 130 or more years.  The Mr's father and grandfather raised bees for the honey.  

 
There is so much history all around us.  We just have to ask questions, and I'm pretty good at that!  I ask more questions than anyone I know.   One of these days, I'm going to get up the nerve to check out a local dairy's barn.  One of the buildings is made of metal and shaped like the old Quonset Huts.  At least that's what it looks like from afar. 

I also have a great photo of a goose to share.  This one was taken at our local park.   I'm not sure if this goose is airing out his wings or just showing his lady friend how macho he is.  Either way, he sure is handsome!


Now it's time for Tootsie and me to start getting ready to leave for her appointment.   I'll try to remember to put up another freebie for you tomorrow.  Till then, Y'all have a fabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

I love discovering those hidden, out of the way, little chunks of history. It is amazing how much one can learn and it creates in us a feeling of connectivity with our own personal world! Thanks so much for sharing!

The Queen Jester said...

I just love old buildings. Nice pics.

Nani said...

And the gulls look so NOT impressed with the goose! LOL I think he's impressive!

Yanno, if 7you don't have Tootsie's letter, that's when they'll ask for it. Hope her appointment went well!

The Bee House is neat and in great shape for its age too! Edna, is that a recent photo? What's the white stuff??? ;)

Hugs, Nani

smiekeltje said...

History is fascinating.
It's such a pity that due to "renewal" too often an old building or whatever is being destroyed. Older buildings, from time past, make the character of a city or village. Remove them and what's left is almost a copy of another city.
So good there are institutions for the preserve of the old, but they don't have always the last vote.
We should be more careful about our history.
Hope all is well with Tootsie.
Have a lovely day and weekend.
Hugs
Kyra