Saturday, May 14, 2011

Grrrrrr!! This Doubler Is Getting The Best Of Me! (So Far)

May 14, 2011

Good morning.  I missed coming here yesterday for my morning chat.  Blogger was down for close to 24 hours but now they are back up and running.  Yesterday was such a gorgeous day but I didn't get out much to do anything because I was at work all day.  This morning is cloudy, but still dry at the moment.  There's not much point in watching the weather channel because they are forecasting rain and showers every day for at least a week.  Oh joy!!

Let me tell you about the fun (?) I'm having trying to figure out how to use the new doubler that I got for my lens.  I took it with me to work, and in between projects there I tried using it to take photos of birds.  I must have around a thousand really bad shots to go through to see if there is anything salvageable.

I have learned one very important thing - I need to learn more about my camera.  Every shot required different settings and different ISO's.  My problem was not knowing what numbers to use until I had already  taken the bad shots.  I will keep trying though.  If there is a camera angel up there somewhere, please please come sit on my shoulder and help me learn!!!

First, to use this doubler, you need to use a tripod.  Now, I can't just lug a tripod around with me while I am supposed to be working.  So I do the best I can with hand held.  Also, I am indoors and shooting through windows.  There was a robin perched on the bird bath outside on the back patio.  The light was really poor, the bird was about 25 feet away (or more), and I was shooting from indoors.  The photo was so dark you could hardly make out what it was, so I lightened it up in Photoshop.  Here's what it looks like now.  It almost looks like a watercolor of sorts.


I also got a few shots of some of the rhododendron buds that are starting to blossom.  These were taken without the doubler.  I'm hoping that by next year, my rhodies will be looking like this.



Now that I have chatted your ear off, I think I will amble out to see what new bills the mailman has delivered this morning.  Till tomorrow, Y'all have a fantastic day.

Hugs, Edna B.

No comments: