Thursday, August 22, 2019

I'm Working On New Recipes

August 22, 2019

Good afternoon.  Wow, talk about late starts!  Nope, I wasn't reading a book this time.  I enjoyed a refreshing nap yesterday afternoon, and paid for it during the night when I should have been sleeping.  I spent the night thinking up recipes.  I think I've figured out how to make a spaghetti sauce  that I can have.  Then I looked up the ingredients ( in the Food Counting Book) that I might need to make stuffed peppers.  I think I have that worked out too.

This morning after breakfast, Pogo and I decided to catch ourselves a few much needed winks.  Now I'm going to have to start working on getting back to a "work days" and "sleep nights" routine.  It's not as easy as it sounds.  I spent so many years working the overnight shifts and the body has a hard time changing. 

Temps lately have still been warm, and the air is wicked heavy.  Tomorrow, though, we're supposed to get some cooler temps.  It looks like we got a bit of rain during the night, but we still need more.  The tiny puddle at the end of my driveway isn't even big enough for one sparrow to bathe in.  He might get his feet wet though.

I've been watching the Burger King ads on TV for  "plant based" sandwiches, and I looked up their nutritional value.  It seems that the "taste like beef" sandwiches have even more sodium than the meat sandwiches.  I think it's great to come up with plant based foods, but they need to use something other than a ton of salt to make them tasty.

Yesterday, someone posted this beautiful old hymn on the web and asked if anyone remembered it.  I do.  Gosh, I haven't heard this one in a long time. 


There is something else that I came across on the web and downloaded to share here.  I find this disgusting.  Please be careful when you are in dressing rooms or any other areas where you can be watched.


Last night, I had spinach pizza for supper.  It was fairly low in sodium so I thought I would try it.  It was tasteless.  It was called Crispy Thin White Pizza.  I ate it though.  Tonight I think I'll either make meat sauce to go with pasta or I'll have haddock.  It all depends on whether or not the hamburg that I took out of the freezer has defrosted. 

Well, that's my news for today.  Now I want to catch up on my blog reading.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all have a fantabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B.

7 comments:

My Tata's Cottage said...

Finding healthy recipes are so hard sometime. I like meatless meals but going all crazy in this country for plant based this and that. Same methods used by cults to control the mind. If the FDA or anyone else cared about us they would not allow all this super sodium junk on the market but they do. UGH.
I watched Brody for several hours yesterday. I slept well last night plus it rained so the cooler air was the best.
Always great to see you here.
HUGS xo

Angelicastar said...

Try some of the prepackaged mixes. I used a meat loaf seasoning today in my meat loaf. I made my own bread crumbs out of white bread in my food processor to add to my meat loaf mixture. When I use those, I won't add anymore salt. I added more black pepper to my broccoli than I did salt. I never take away all of my salt but always try not to over do it to make my food taste good. You can also use meat loaf seasoning with your meat in your stuffed peppers. There's a lot of different brands but to me, they all taste the same. By the time you add all your ingredients in making stuffed peppers, or meat loaf, it eliminate a lot of the salt. The other spices will stand out to make your food tasty. My son and myself are taking blood pressure medicine but we still enjoy our food and our blood pressure are normal. I try never to miss taking that medication because you can suffer a stroke. I have to get on to my son about his. I always tell you about food I am cooking because I know no matter what, the food you prepare at home is a lot healthier than the food you will buy already prepared. They are trying to make a sale. (lol) I also did tea cakes last night. I remembered they aren't very sweet and my son love them. It's so messy preparing the dough and I told him to enjoy those because I won't promise him I will be doing more soon. (lol)

I was getting ready to send you an email to find out what's going on. I am now reading Sean of the South stories. It is very interesting. Hope you have a wonderful day. Give Pogo a big hug for me

Laurel Wood said...

It is shocking how much sodium some food items contain. Same with sugar (especially in salad dressings) I often cannot sleep at night. Today, for instance, I took a long nap after lunch to make up for missed sleep last night. We are in need of a good rain too.
That is a beautiful, old hymn.
Thanks for the warning about the hidden camera too. It pays to stay informed.
Have a good evening and hugs to Pogo.

LV said...

I am with you on my sleeping. I am having a hard time sleeping at night. Lay there and think up things I need to do. It makes me so tired. I do not want to start on something to make me sleep.

Kathy said...

Joe has trouble sleeping at night also. He worked nights for most of his working life and finds it difficult to be awake during the day and sleeping at night.

That hymn, "In the Garden" was one of my mom's favorites and was sung at her funeral. I always think of her when I hear it. But you are right it isn't sung much any more.

I have been on a low salt diet for over 25 years. I cook at home most of the time so that I can control the salt level. Most of the time I do not use salt and don't miss it at all. My stuffed peppers have no salt in them -- ground beef, rice and peppers. I use low sodium tomato sauce and tomato paste to make the sauce. I never use salt on my eggs in the morning and use low sodium bacon. After a little while you won't even think about it. Eating low salt will become second nature.

Dogmom Diva said...

Hi Edna, Just give me a beef hamburger. I understand that some folks like the plant based stuff, so maybe that's good for them~ too much sodium though is not good.!

I am a horrible sleeper, have had issues for the last 15 years. Problem is I am tired fairly early in the evening, so if I go to bed too early, I am up at 3 am. Then I will stay up for a while, check emails, etc...back to bed..then a nap in the afternoon. I remember as a kid thinking my grandparents napping was hilarious now I get it!

Barb

Steve Reed said...

Daytime naps can complicate night-time sleep patterns, for sure. I do my best to avoid napping in the daytime.