Thursday, August 29, 2019

Happy Birthday Kevin

August 29, 2019

Good morning.  I woke up around 5 a.m. and stayed up.  It's looking gray outside but according to my phone app the sun should be shining soon.  We finally got a bit of rain yesterday, but we could use a bit more. 

I am so bad at posting family events.  Yesterday was my grandson Kevin's birthday. He was our two pound miracle baby.  Now he is a twenty two year old electrician.  Wow, how time does fly!  Kevin, I hope your day was awesome.  I love you.

Well, I made my stuffed peppers yesterday and I must say I'm not proud of how they came out.  They were edible, so I ate one of them, but they could have used a bit more taste.  Plus they were a bit on  the dry side.  Ah well, I'll learn from this and maybe next time they will be tastier.  They used to always come out awesome, but that was before the "no salt" diet.

I've been asked to post the meat sauce recipe, so give me a day or so to type it up and then I'll post it.  I'm basically experimenting with different alternatives in my food right now.  I could be happy with plain pasta most days but then I would not be getting the minimum requirements for sodium or calories.  We should be getting a minimum of at least 500 mg sodium and 1200 calories a day. (according to Google)

It's tricky trying to make something tasty and stay within the requirement boundaries.  I looked up a recipe in a Low Sodium cookbook.  The list of ingredients took a whole page.  That's all it took to lose me.  I like recipes with four or five ingredients. 

Today I have a happy photo to share.  My great grandson Jack started his first day at high school this week.  Now I have two great grandchildren in high school.  Who knows, I just might make it to see some great greats!  This is Jack's first day photo.  When asked how he liked his first day there, he replied "I loved it!"


I found this very interesting image on the web and wanted to share it.  I think it is wonderful how thoughtful this business owner is to be concerned for our homeless animals.


I enlarged the bottom of the photo so that you can read the small print.  What a wonderful world it would be if each and everyone of us did our part to help protect our animals.


Deanne will be here in a couple hours to pick me up.  We're going to do a bit of grocery shopping.  I need to look over my shopping list to make sure everything I want is on it.  I'm thinking I might want to make a couple pies this week.  One for me and one for Deanne's family.

Before I leave today, I have an another image to share with you.  (also borrowed from the web)  This is just too cute.


Till tomorrow, Y'all have a fantabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B.

5 comments:

Steve Reed said...

It is indeed hard to make tasty reduced-salt food. Human beings are engineered to eat salt! (Of course, not as much as most of us DO eat.) Happy birthday to Kevin, and I love the squirrel photo -- even though he's probably deciding whether or not to eat that flower.

Angelicastar said...

If you notice sometimes your taste buds are different and nothing will taste good. if you didn't, try cooking your peppers in tomato sauce enough to cover them half way. I have a very deep cast iron skillet that I use. Sometimes nothing I cook is tasty. I did fried chicken yesterday and got out of bed last evening and used the same chicken to do chicken and gravy with smothered onions. I did eat some of the chicken afterward. I had presoaked it in a brine and thought if I use more season salt it would be too salty. It was okay without me adding more salt but I just didn't want the fried chicken after cooking it I was asking my son how did it taste because my taste buds were not there yesterday. Sometimes it's not our cooking but our health has something to do with our food tasting yummy. It's very hard to find yummy food sometimes. I notice I do well about 2 weeks after chemo and then I relapse back into not feeling well. Things are going to get better for us. I hope you and Pogo have a wonderful day

Terra said...

I love how that laundry owner is helping that dog. I would buy some dog food and donate it to the owner. It is spirit lifting to see good deeds isn't it? Happy birthday to your grandson.

Beth Reed said...

I just cannot believe how fast Jack has grown! And Kevin! I cannot believe that young man is 22 years old. I am so glad that Jack had a wonderful first day of high school. He is quiet handsome!!

I love the sign of the laundry with the dog. It is wonderful that the owner is helping to keep him from being killed in a shelter.
We have a small kitten here that I believe lives next door but he comes to visit us late in the evening. We have been giving him some food and I am bringing the bowl closer and closer to the front door. I just want to befriend him. Even Nathan is trying to gain his trust.

Good luck finding recipes that you like. It sometimes takes a while for our senses to adjust to new tastes. I know that since I limited my salt that for awhile everything started tasting too salty. I finally adjusted so perhaps your taste buds will too.

I will talk to you later on... Beth

Dogmom Diva said...

Love the sign about the stray dog! This world needs more compassion.
My mom was on a low sodium diet after her bypass years ago. She had a hard time too..
Cute squirrel!!