Wednesday, December 12, 2018

I Can Be Very Sappy At Times

December 12, 2018

Good afternoon.  I did not get much sleep last night, so I slept as late as possible this morning before it was time to get Jazzy and take her to the college.  When I got home, I started right in getting a few more things ready for mailing. 

Yesterday, I got four boxes packed and ready to be mailed.  This morning, I got a batch of calendars and a few more Christmas cards ready for mailing.  Joe said that he would go to the Post Office with me later this afternoon and carry all the bundles into the Post Office for me. 

I had planned on going to the Post Office yesterday afternoon, but Pogo needed to see his groomer.  His little sac needed to be emptied and his toe nails needed to be cut.  I'll call after Christmas and make an appointment for his haircut.

My place is looking quite chaotic right now.  There are things everywhere waiting to be wrapped, and bags of wrapping paper and tape and labels are just waiting to be used.  I'm getting there!  I'm focusing first on anything that has to go in the mail.  After that, I'll wrap everything that is staying local. 

I got another Christmas box in the mail.  This one is from my friends Mary Ann and Gene in Wisconsin.  Pogo and I are being good though, and will wait until Christmas to see what it is.  He sniffed the box all over and decided that we could keep it.  Gosh, he's such a good boy!!

I did not have time to work on my quick pages this week, but I will try to have something for you tomorrow.  I haven't even had a chance to put up any Christmas lights on my porch yet.  One of these years I'm going to take my own advice and start my wrapping and decorating early. 

My friend Cliff sent me a photo of his house all decorated for Christmas.  He has a beautiful big tree in his front yard and he finally got the lights strung on it.  Cliff, your tree is beautiful.


While I was looking through a box of photos a few days ago, I came across a poem I wrote for my daughter Audrey many years ago.  None of us, including me, had ever flown in a plane.  My daughter Audrey had been invited to spend the whole summer in Norway and Sweden with a couple of the exchange students we had taken in. 

I was wicked happy for my daughter, but I was petrified at the same time.  The plane ride is a long one, and my children had never been so far away from me, and on their own.  So until the phone call came saying that she had arrived safely, I was a nervous wreck and quite melancholy.  The night she left, I sat down and wrote her a poem.


I wonder if all parents get like me, all sappy and nervous when our little ones take their first steps out into the world without us.  My daughter had a fantastic summer!  The families of the exchange students were ever so good to her and treated her like one of their own.  My other kids got to go on plane trips too, and I was all sappy for them too.  Sheesh!  I guess it's a mommy thing.

Now I want to catch up on a bit of blog reading before I leave to pick up Jazzy and bring her home.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all have a fantabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B.

1 comment:

smiekeltje said...

Such a lovely poem, and i am sure it is treasured.
And gosh, you have been busy with all the packages. I am curious to know what Pogo will give you for Christmas OL!
Okay, on to the next posts,
Hug
Kyra