Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Ever Tried Stippling?

January 22, 2013

It's 3:50 a.m. and I hope I can get a nap later today because I'm working tonight.  The friend who has been covering for me all last week needs a couple of nights off this week so I'm filling in for her.  It's a win win situation. 

I promised I would tell you what I see in the photo art that I posted yesterday.   I see people dancing, kicking up their legs and raising their arms and eyes to the sky.  It's a joyous photo, and you can almost hear the music they are dancing to.  I think they are joyful because Spring will soon be here, and that means new life and new beginnings.

I found several smaller objects too.  Hearts and butterfly wings.  This brought old memories to surface from when I was a little girl.  My dad's hobby was painting and making things from wood or whatever materials that were handy.  He was very creative and talented.  I remember how he would paint our bedroom walls and then stipple them. 

So, what's stippling?  Here's how my dad did it.  You paint the walls one solid color.  Then pick two other colors, crumple up bits of a brown paper bag, and stipple the colors onto the wall.

Example:  Start at top of first wall using color A, stipple on wall  (dip crumpled paper into paint and pat onto wall.  Do this every 4 to 6 inches down the wall in an even row.  Then take color B, and stipple all the way down the wall in between the color A stipples.   For the second row, start with color B, and use color A for the in-between spaces.  Repeat this all the way around the room.

My brother and I always had to go to bed early, and so spent many hours finding all the different little objects painted on the wall.  If you look at stippling for a while,  the stipples begin to look like things - people, animals, objects, etc.  It was really quite interesting and creative.

By the way, did I mention that it's been snowing since late yesterday afternoon?  It's not very heavy, at least not yet, but we're supposed to end up with a few inches.  On top of that, it's cold!  It dips into the single digits during the night.  I could almost not care about the snow, but I do not like this cold.  Brrrr!

I got an email from Staples (computer and office supplies store)  offering me 250 business cards for only $10.  You could even create and upload your own design.  So I did.  I mean, for $10, this is a good bargain.  So why not?  Here's my new card.


The card itself is much brighter and cleaner than this shot that I took with my camera.  The shading that you see is my shadow. On the card, the snow is white.  I've left off any contact number or web address on purpose.  These things tend to change so I'm having a stamp made.  The back of the card is blank, and when needed, I can stamp the appropriate information there.

Okay, I've gabbed enough and now I need a cup of coffee.  I'm looking at one lone little breaded cheese stick leftover from last night, and it's making me hungry.  I think maybe I'll have a big bowl of Raisin Bran Flakes with my coffee.   Oh my, that sounds so good!  On that note, I'll be on my way.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all have a wonderful day.

Hugs, Edna B.

7 comments:

smiekeltje said...

It's fun what imagination and fantasy can do! Your dad was a very creative man indeed!
Mine was in a way too, he loved to work with wood too, only he made all kinds of furniture and shelves from it.
He was a very good hobby carpenter.
And he was a very handy man too.
He also loved to work in the garden, so there I joined him and we had great times together and lots of fun.
He really was a wonderful husband and father, and I loved him dearly.

We have a little change in the weather, still snow lying around, too much to my liking bur at least for the moment we have bits of blue sky and sunshine.

Perhaps a good time to go out for a moment for some small shopping of groceries.
Have a lovely day.
Hug
Kyra

Mat's Merry Memoirs said...

O how great our imaginations are! So fascinating at all the different things each of us see in your photo! I like the card too! Lovely deer photo!
Sorry it is so cold, come to Texas for a visit and thaw out, to be in the 70's today and tomorrow!
Well, got work to do so guess I better go and get busy! Have a great day! hugs to you & Pogo! Mat

Debby said...

I loved the poto from yesterday. It takes an eye to see what all you saw in that photo.
The one you choose for your card is just beautiful. It is one from the calendar isn't it. It was my favorite next to Pogo's. Good idea to have a stamp made since the info changes.
I'm not sure what kind of work you do, Do you care for an disabled person?
Stay warm. It is very cold here as well. The shelves are bare and I need to get some groceries but I don't feel like venturing out.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Aren't Dads the best ... I had an awesome father as well, though creativity really came from my mother's side. After he retired he did take up wood working and made some beautiful pieces for me that I still have and cherish. I don't know where the imagination's ability to see things in things comes from. I have always done it. My sister and I used to look for things in clouds when we were traveling with my parents and bored with the drive. I ruined a VanGogh painting for myself by spotting an animal in the middle of it. Now all I can see is that animal, though the painting is beautiful and famous. So, it can be a curse, as well as a talent.

Our temperature is supposed to be -19 wind chill today ... fortunately we didn't have any wind this morning when I was out with Izzi, but it sure is cold. Makes my face burn(note I am no longer referencing my cheeks:)It is supposed to stay this way until the weekend when it will get back up into the 30's. I know, doesn't sound that warm, but everything is relative.

I love your card, and the idea of havint it blank and just stamping it when you want to pass on your information is awesome. It gives you more control over your privacy while still allowing you to get your name out there. Who will you give cards to? We have several coffee shops that let you put your cards on a table for people to take. If the card is catchy it could draw attention your my blog. Food for thought ... you are always full of good ideas.

Well, I have a post on Wild Bird Wednesday I need to get ready. You have a great day Edna ... I'm glad you got past your flu, but sorry you have to work extra to make up for it (though I agree, your coworker deserves the break. It was nice of her to cover for you). Be well ...

Andrea @ From The Sol

The Queen Jester said...

Such a lovely photo to use for your cards. I like the idea of using the back for all the contact info.
When I saw the term stippling I immediately thought of the all over doodly design used when quilting.
I tried sponging once when painting a wall but it looked more like there had been a mini paint ball tournament going on and repainited it just plain again.
Your dads's technique sounds nice.

Mary Ann Roesler said...

The last "stippling" I did was in our lower bathroom where my hot tub is: I wanted it to look like clouds so I started with three shades of light blue over white. The problem was I wore out my shoulder and had to have it replaced...had I know I think I would have gone cloudless! However when daydreaming in the hottub I can see shapes etc like we did when we were kids laying on the lawn. Angels in the sky I was always able to find! Enjoyed your story.

Anonymous said...

trо сhoі аre idеntiсаl pορular Require, mаketheіr
oωn blogѕ and puгchase shareѕ. sоft On thаt point - Υou're constantly been downloading immense games.

Check out my web site - game