Thursday, January 3, 2013

Brrrrrr! Baby, It's Cold Outside!

January 3, 2013

Good morning on this sunny, but cold (11 degrees F)  third day of this new year. I've been watching the weather channel all morning.  They've been talking about how low the Mississippi River is, and the really bad impact it will be making on the people and businesses along it's banks.  This, in turn, will impact many more businesses all over the country. 

They are talking about maybe diverting some water from the Missouri River to the Mississippi River.  Gosh, I know I sound redundant, but how bad to things have to get before the decision makers decide that maybe it's time for some water pipelines.  With all the flooding that we get, we should be able to pipe a lot of this excess flood water to drier areas. 

They also showed where Southern New Mexico is having snow.  The map also showed snow falling in Mexico.  I never knew that this part of the country got snow.  Next week this area of the country will warm up a bit, and will have some rain.  It's called "climate change".

To answer Debbie's question (from yesterday's comments),  yes, Pogo was rescued by New England Poodle Rescue right around the beginning of this past July.  He was almost six and a half years, and I'm the lucky person who got picked to be his forever Mommy.  He's been with me for a little more than five months, and now I can't imagine life without him.  He is such a pleasure, and brings so much joy to everyone who meets him. 

For anyone out there in blogland who might be thinking of getting a new furry kid, please consider adopting from an animal shelter.  There are so many fur babies waiting for someone to love  them.  You can't imagine the joy awaiting you when you adopt from a shelter.  And while we're on the subject of fur babies, here's another photo of my Pogo.  Goodness, I think he's ready for another visit to the groomer.


Last night, there was another huge article about "the wise words and ways of elders".  I just love these articles.  It gives me hope that I can still have fun and play on my computer when I'm 100.   The article highlighted four amazing elders.  One lady who will be 100 in a few months, and still works part time in her local library's archives.  Another lady, aged 97, sells her watercolor paintings, and has enjoyed a recent joint art showing with her daughter.

A retired judge, aged 93, is still active and joins his friends every morning at a local coffee house.  Last, but not least, we have another charming lady aged 103 who lives a very active life and still maintains her indepence.  The author of the article said that she stopped by one day to visit with this lady, and found her out in the yard picking flowers from her garden.  God bless our elders!!

I find these articles very inspiring.  If interested, you can see video interviews with these wonderful elders at Patriot Ledger.com.  At the top right corner of the page, type "A Good Age" in the search box and hit the search icon.

I have another pretty photo to share with you.  This photo was taken just before 7 a.m. the morning after Christmas.  I was getting ready to go home (from work)  and notied how bright the moon was even behind snow clouds. 


I've been taking a lot of photos with my new point and shoot.  Even thought the photos aren't quite the same as with my DSLR, they are still pretty good.  I can't wait for my new manual to get here.  I ordered it online, and it has already been shipped.  Who knows?  Maybe it will come today? 

My one last thought to comment on is all this hubbub about Congress and their failure to act on helping our disaster victims from Sandy.  The politicians have been playing games and holding up the needed aid so that they can fatten their own "pork" interests.  SHAME ON YOU!!!!! 

A few politicians have been very vocal on TV about their disappointment with this shameful lack of responsibility.  I'm glad to say that it has made a difference.   HOWEVER, Congress only did a partial fix.  A little of the money will be processed and  released for the victims, but the bulk of the funds is still awaiting a vote.  Hmmmm - why can't they just get rid of all the pork and help these very needy folks.

YOO HOO, CONGRESS!  These are OUR PEOPLE, and you will be needing THEIR VOTES again in the near future.  It's time to OUTLAW PORK in all legislation!

Okay, that's enough of my bandbox for today.  Now I'm going to see about maybe doing a bit of vacuuming, and play with Pogo.  Till tomorrow, Y'all have a fabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B. 

6 comments:

Mat's Merry Memoirs said...

Good Morning, I got here too early yesterday before you decided to chat! So, caught up today! I so agree with you about shelter animals, although I don't have dogs anymore, all my cats were rescued some way or other! I donate food the the animal shelters and do my share of feeding them around here, my birds, squirrels, rabbits, possum and of course the feral cats! LOL! I wish I could take them all into my home, but laws are laws!!and my house is too small! LOL!
I agree with you about POLITICIANS!! They should all be time limited!
Well, have a great day, chat more next time! Hugs to you and Pogo!

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Well, this is my second round with you today. You struck a note when you said Politicians. It is not "pork" that is the issue, it is the idealogs that want to shrink government down to nothing and let private companies do the job of helping people (after they take their huge profits and bonuses off the top ... what would be left? You can only imagine). It is really only a small group and they certainly don't represent the majority of people, but they don't care and they don't budge. It is their way or the highway. It is the same group that wouldn't let the Senate sign the Disabilities Treaty that would require adaptations for the disabled all over the world ... they said it gave too much power to the UN (they say the UN is going to take over our country ... Really folks, are you nuts???) I am hoping it will be the highway for them by the next election in 2014. They don't belong in Congress. Phew ... got that off my chest, sorry:)

As for rescue pets, I couldn't agree more. My cats have always been rescued as have my dogs until we got Izzi. Izzi was picked out by my Granddaughter ... she had her heart set on a Mini Aussie. Of course all pets need a good loving home. Living with a breeder doesn't mean they have a great life ... They usually spend most of their life in pens with minimal attention, so I am glad to be providing Izzi with a better alternative.

So you see what you did ... you got me started, arn't you glad :0. Hope you and Pogo have a great day even though it is very cold ...

Andrea @ From The Sol

Debby said...

I thought Pogo was just a puppy. Such a cute little face.
My Piper is a rescue from the pound. Izzy, my Yorkie, was a gift from a friend that had her mom and dad.
I agree, it such a great way to get a loving pet and to save a furry life.
Love the moon picture.
So many people in need. More going to be with the extra taken from our paychecks. Why can't they work for the people and not for their egos. It is ridiculous.
Have a great week-end. It's almost here.

aquascrap said...

I think we can do a fair trade today.....the US and Australia. How about you send me some of your cold weather and I'll send you some of our heat. We have been forecast 44C (111.2F).

It's staying indoors and under the aircon kind of weather here.

I think politicians all over are exactly the same. Feather their own nests first. Ours have just cut the Single parents allowance when their youngest child turns 8.

They want them to get out and find a job but the jobs aren't easy to come by. Some of these people say they won't be able to afford their rent, buy food etc etc.

If they do manage to find a job their child would most probably end up in child care (if they can get into one) which is subsidised by the government, so the government hasn't saved any money just given a lot of misery to a lot of people.

You stay warm, I'll try and stay cool and enjoy your day.

Hugs
Judy xx

The Queen Jester said...

When it comes time to bring a cat (or cats) back into our home you can bet they will be from a shelter. I cringe every time I see a "pet shop" and wish they could be closed down for good and stop the puppy mills.

smiekeltje said...

Oh, I loved the part about the "old aged" who are still so active! It gives us a bit of hope, isn;t it?
Don;t want to talk politics,yak, here too they are doing (or mostly NOT) doing funny strange things, all things seem to be a way to divert our attention of the important things!
Definately it is a good thing to have a pet from animal shelter. If one day we perhaps want to have another cat, we will go there and take home an elderly one who can do with a good home for still some years!
Have a great day
Hug
Kyra