Sunday, July 24, 2011

Cooking The Fruits Of Our Labor

July 24, 2011

Gosh, what a night!  It was so hot and sticky and there was no sleeping for me.  There has been a nasty odor in my place for a couple of days now, and I have been looking high and low for the source.  Well, DUH!  It seems that I had forgotten to take out the filters in the AC and clean them.  So at 3:45 this morning I was up taking out the filters and washing them.  Then of course, I had to try to clean out anything that might be inside behind the filters. 

Once that was done, I dug through my screwdrivers to find the right one to take apart the fan in my bedroom.  Once the fan was all apart ( God bless me with all those teeny weeny screws!), I scrubbed it all nice and shiny and put it all back together again.  By now, I had worked up an appetite, so Tootsie and I each had a bowl of cereal and then went back to bed.

Today, the temperature has gone down a bit, thank goodness!  I can actually walk out the door without the heat smacking me in the face.  We might even get a few thunder showers.  Gosh, I hope so!  This afternoon, I get to cook the first summer squash from our garden.  Oh yum!!  Aside from mashed potatoes,  this has to be my favorite veggie.  I love most all of them, but we do tend to have favorites. 

Right next to the shed, there is a large beautiful flowering bush.  It is has been there for many years, even though different folks have tried to get rid of it.  I keep coming to its' rescue.  I don't know it's name, but I think maybe my friend, Kyra, might be able to help with that.  The bush is at least six feet tall, and the florets are covered with teeny white blossoms.  I have a photo of it, plus a close up.  Let me know what it is.



Now I have some laundry to do, and the carpet really does want to meet up with the vacuum.  After lunch, maybe I can catch a short nap before I head off to work.  Till tomorrow, Y'all have a fantastic day.

Hugs, Edna B.

3 comments:

smiekeltje said...

LOL, you think I know ALL about plants. Well, I don;t, but I THINK i might know what this shrub is. If it's giving little berries after flowering I would be quite certain.
My guess is that it is one of the Viburnum family.
Check this link, they have several pictures of several species.

http://www.my-photo-gallery.com/tag/viburnum/

Hope I am right about the shrub!
Have a great day
Hugs
Kyra

Rarole said...

Edna - you might want to look up a plant called "Queen Ann's Lace." It's tough to say for sure, but my initial thought when i saw your pretty picture was that it might be it!

Glad your temps are down - hope ours follow suit.

Snowy said...

Looks like Elderflowers, if they come out to be very dark purple, almost black little berries then you can start picking,lol. Elderberry wine is lovely ! Saying that, the flowers make a nice sweet cordial -if I am right with this guess, as I can't see the leaves.