Saturday, July 30, 2011

The "Necessity" Years Were Good Years

July 30, 2011

It's another gorgeous morning, and I will be outside enjoying it soon.  I have a couple of errands to do, and an appointment at the nail salon.  If I keep my nails pretty, maybe no one will notice how frizzy my hair is.  You think?

"Project Runway" started up this week, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I started making my own clothes when I was around 15, and had dreams of becoming a fashion designer.  However, reality set in, and life took over and decided my future.  I did keep sewing and making clothes until my kids were almost into junior high school. 

It's amazing what necessity teaches us.  When you have little or no money to work with, you become very resourceful.  You learn how to make do with what you have, and how to turn scraps into things of beauty.  My best friend's mother made the most beautiful braided rugs, and spent hours teaching us how to make them.  My parents made "pom pom" rugs that were quite popular back in the early 1940's.  They taught me how to whip up a large batch of pom poms and fashion them into a beautiful rug. 

Knitting, crocheting, and cooking were also on the list of things that we were taught when we were young.  Is it any wonder that most of us kids that grew up in the 40's and 50's were able to cope with a lot of the things that life threw at us?  Today, I don't think I can name ten kids that can do all of the things that we learned as children.

Okay, that's enough of my ranting.  How about that closeup photo of the whale's blow hole that I promised?  It sort of looks like a regular nose, only it's on the top of the whale's head instead of on its' face.


I also have a fun photo of a pair of "footwear" that someone was wearing on the boat.  I can't imagine walking around town with these on my feet.  On the other hand, they do look rather comfortable.


Now it's time for me to get dressed so I don't miss my appointment.  Till tomorrow, Y'all have a wonderful day.

Hugs, Edna B.

1 comment:

Mary Ann Roesler said...

Edna, I loved the shoe photo...can you imagine what shape they would have on my foot!!!! Mary Ann

ps I ordered my Canon T3i..should be here in a few days...then the challenge begins to see if I can get one bird photo that is better than yours...haha!