Monday, July 28, 2014

Wow! 116 And Still Looking Good!

July 28, 2014

Good morning.  Goodie goodie!  It's gray and wet outside my door.  There's even a little breeze coming in.  Oops, I spoke a bit soon.  On TV, they are giving us a "severe thunderstorm warning".  The temps today should be around 79 - 80 degrees with rain.  Well, right now it is quite nice.

So, how did it go at work last night?  It didn't.  I called out.  Yesterday my heart did not seem to be beating right and I felt it was best not to go in to work.  I think it was mostly all due to the humidity and the anticipation of a bad night.  At my age, I'm not taking any chances with my health.

I spent most of yesterday resting. About the only thing I accomplished was a load of laundry and a few rows on  the new crochet project.  Now I'm looking at my calendar, and I need to spend some time finishing up the navy blue afghan if I want to get if finished this month. 

Can you believe it?  July is almost over!!  Just three more days left in this month.  It's time to make a list of the stash in my "gift drawer" and see what I still need to get my holiday shopping done.  Most of my stuff has to be in the mail by the first of December, so finishing up early is a must.

Folks, I have to share this wonderful article that was in the news this past week.  Meet Bernice Madigan.  She's the oldest person in Massachusetts, and has just celebrated her 115th birthday.  WOW!  (information from iBerkshires.com)


She is the fifth oldest person in the world.  Bernice was born on July 24, 1899 in West Springfield, MA.  William McKinley was president of the 45 states of America at that time.  She graduated Adams High School in 1918, and worked as a secretary for the Veteran's Administration and Treasury Department in Washington, D.C. before returning to Massachusetts with her husband, Paul.

The couple was married for 50 years when he died in 1976.  Bernice credits her longevity to not having any children.  The world's oldest living person is a woman in Japan, who is 116 years old.  Let's all join in and wish Bernice a super Happy Birthday!!

Well, that tops any news I might have, so I think I'll go to the kitchen and make a cup of coffee.  I need to wash a few scatter rugs, so now is a good time to do that too.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all have a wonderful day.

Hugs, Edna B.

3 comments:

The Queen Jester said...

She is amazing. I would love to be over 100 before I leave this world...provided I have my health and am not in pain.
She may be on to something about living longer without having had children, it would certainly be much less physically and emotionally taxing.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

I think we should look into how many of the centurians were childless ... if they all are or at least most of them are, we could advertise that to our young people and maybe they would choose not to raise a family ... be one way of getting the population under control.

On to more important business ... Your heart felt funny? What does that mean? To me that means you need to go see your doctor. You know when the heart quits, it's all over, right? I almost dropped my teath when I read that(and I don't have any falsies). I hope your heart is feeling better today or I hope you are on your way to the doctors office as we speak.

I want to live until I die ... pretty smart philosophy if I do say so myself. I hope that I will be doing something I love doing and then ZAP, it will be all over and painless. I thought my mother would live to be a hundred. Her Dad was 99 when he passed and she was as healthy as a horse when she died. So I am thinking it is something I have very little control over (other that eating healthy and keeping in some form of shape), so let it happen when it happens, amen! That's my lecture for today, so I think I will move on to something more up beat ... like how's the Pogo doing? Izzi needs a bath, but I don't want to take her to the groomers because I have to put that ick flea/tick stuff on her next week and it makes her coat all greasy, so what's the point of a bath now. She is, however, enjoying our nice cool weather we are having. How about you are you in the 70's ... isn't it grand. Wish it didn't mean that our climate is going to ...... in a handbasket, because I really do like it in the 70. My goodness, Edna, I do believe I am rambling on and on ... you have a nice day and I hope you are okay. Don't mess with the heart, my friend. If it doesn't feel right, go see your doctor. Later ...

Andrea @ From The Sol

Nani said...

I agree about being careful when it comes to you health; this is heart stress you and your doctor know about how to handle it, right?

Many, many more, happy returns to Bernice! Even if I'm only as good as I am today with the MS, I'd love to make it past 100! As long as my mind is still strong enough to remember, oh the history I'd be able to share. I remember the stories my great-grandmother shared. She started slipping into the memory loss when she was bout 90, but she recalled things that history book didn't record. It would be great if my nieces grandchildren enjoyed stories the stories like I did. Wow.

We should all do as well as Bernice, huh? :)

Hugs, Nani